Timecode issues with Deneck TS-C slate

General discussion
FergusH

Hello,

I recently received a Deneck TS-C timecode slate. I am using the slate as a timecode source for an Alexa Mini, running SUP 6.1.1

If I select “Run mode: Free run” and “Mode: Regen”, then I have no issue: the camera receives the correct timecode from the slate.

However, if I use “Run mode: Free run” and “Mode: Jam sync”, then I have an issue where the Alexa receives the timecode but never locks to it. Specifically:

1. After attaching the timecode cable from the slate to the Alexa, the Alexa’s timecode does update, correctly showing the slate’s timecode.
2. The timecode display on the Alexa flashes - and continues flashing for approximately one minute.
3. After that, the timecode still matches what is on the slate, but the alert “Please jam sync camera timecode” appears in the timecode screen, as well as on the Alexa’s alert page.

I did confirm that the frame rate of the slate and that of the Alexa are set correctly (23.976).

Do you have any suggestions about what might be going wrong?

Regards,
Fergus Hammond
Jan Heugel

Dear Fergus,

we've seen clocking issues with earlier timecode devices in which the quartz wouldn't lock onto the incoming signal because of it's jitter.

I'll forward your findings to R&D.

Kind regards,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer