Audio to Alexa Mini

General discussion
Stout Film

Hi everyone,
What are your normal gain settings when inputting audio from a mixer? I know this depends on a lot of factors, but say typical interview mic'ing from a MixPre or similar.... I'm generally having to push my in-camera levels up in the teens, like +12 to +18. On a similar setup but going straight into the Amira without a separate mixer, I'm at like +5 and get much cleaner audio.
Curious if anyone using something like a MixPre-D could share their settings start to finish.
I'm also curious about trying this Beachtek out at some point.

Also Arri, are you aware that in the current SUP you cannot use wifi to input a number higher than 9 (no two digit numbers). You have to use the MVF-1 to do this. I mentioned this months ago but it's the same in more recent SUP's.

Cheers!
Jan Heugel

Hey Stout,
to enter a double digit number place the cursor in front of the first digit (even if this is zero), then enter e.g. 12 and confirm.

Best,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Stout Film

Jan Heugel wrote:Hey Stout,
to enter a double digit number place the cursor in front of the first digit (even if this is zero), then enter e.g. 12 and confirm.

Best,
Jan

Thanks Jan but I've tried this many times and it doesn't work for me, at least on my iphone which is all I've tried for wifi. I go all the way to the left with the cursor and it if, for example "12" is the goal, it will only accept "1". It works perfectly on the MVF-1 by this same method so that's what I use.
justin lovell

We're using a mini audio lemo cable to male 3.5mm jack. Plugged into a Zoom h1 recorder. This can be used for scratch audio using it's mic.

Otherwise we can use the wooden camera abox and take a feed from sound guy.
OR
Use the mini audio lemo cable to male 3.5mm jack - convert this to XLR or female 3.5mm and take a feed from a wireless mic hop.

Hope that helps!

Justin Lovell
Associate CSC
www.justinlovell.com

Frame Discreet
8/16/35 film scans
www.framediscreet.com
Justin Lovell
Associate CSC Cinematographer

Frame Discreet // 8/16/35 film scans
http://www.framediscreet.com
Stout Film

justin lovell wrote:We're using a mini audio lemo cable to male 3.5mm jack. Plugged into a Zoom h1 recorder. This can be used for scratch audio using it's mic.
Thanks Justin! This is an interesting option, I never knew the Zoom H1 had a line level output. This could be the simples and lightest solution for scratch audio. Curious if adding a Sennheiser MKE 400 to it could get better or more directional audio in a pinch. 2 questions for you:

1) Where are you getting your AlexaMini Lemo to 3.5mm cable? Looks like Remote Audio makes something for $199 and theres a cheaper version for $49: https://www.amazon.com/Right-Angle-3-5m ... mini+cable

2) What do you find your are setting your in camera audio gain to? Though I know it's just for scratch, I'm curious if I can get something useable for a doc situation in a pinch.
Laurie Webb

Hi. My name is Laurie with Mozegear. We have a new tiny microphone pre-amp designed for the Alexa Mini. It is called the “Mini Papi” and it has some of the features which we think will address your “wish list”.

*Tiny size - It is only 4.2 cubic inches (2.5” x 2.1” x 0.8”) and just 4 oz

*Clean high-end audio quality that can be used for primary sound or a scratch track

*Additional features that support audio quality include 2 limiters to reduce clipping. Adjustable High Pass Filter to control wind noise. Switchable output levels and a bracket channel to help avoid clipping in the camera.

*There is a level (gain) control that has plenty of headroom (72dB of gain with 65 dB range.) It is adjustable in 5 db steps.

*Externally powered (via 2 pin Lemo) with an isolated power supply to reduce hum loops. Alternative powering via a micro usb.

*48-volt phantom power

For those who haven’t heard about our company "Mozegear", we manufacture equipment for production sound. We are located in Irvine, California and our products are made and serviced in the USA. We also have a second service center in London.

We are currently shipping. Please note that there are two versions of the Mini Papi, 1.) Alexa Mini/Camera version 2.) Audio Engineer version. Make sure you ask for the Alexa Mini or camera version.

For more information: http://www.mozegear.com
Or you can shoot me an email at: lauriew@mozegear.com
Stout Film

Thanks Laurie,
I'm glad a company has stepped up. I think a lot of people will want one. I'll be ordering one today. Thanks!
FergusH

This thread is several years old now but still very useful. I’ve got a MixPre-3 that I’m using on a Alexa Mini but I’m thinking about getting a Mini Papi.

Does anyone have other suggestions of products I should look at? This is for production audio, not just scratch audio. Basically it’s for using the Alexa Mini in situations where the Amira would probably be a better choice! ;-)

Thanks.
rizarefaldi

Is there a way to access the AES audio of the camera. This would skip the A/D/A/D process.