Re: Audio to Alexa Mini

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:32 pm

ACSE GmbH wrote:This is where we come into game:

We are a professional manufacturer from munich, currently dipping into high end camera equipment.
To this point we made quite some useful breakoutboxes

As we are currently designing the newest member with high end preamps and levelling we would be eager to get involved with you all. Since we are building this for all of you guys and gals out there in the field working with it:

Which features should an audio addition have?

i'd buy this! when do you guys think you will be able to start selling it?
amirpohan

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:29 am

Great to hear!

It is quite hard to give you a exact date, but we will need 3-5 months for the whole design.
*this post was edited 63 times

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Is there a way to access the AES audio of the camera. This would skip the A/D/A/D process. I know a manufacturer that have a small audio preamp with AES output. This would be the best solution for pristine sound.

Thanks

Patrick
Patrick Tresch

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:13 pm

I made a pre-amp for the Alexa Mini earlier this year using an RDL STM-2: http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=64 inside of an Altoids tin.

The basics:

-requires 24vdc to power (arri rs 3-pin Fischer) which will also necessitate the use of an aftermarket battery plate like the Wooden Camera D-Box as there is no 24v accessory out of the camera
-mono mic output terminates to a TA3 male connector
-output level can be adjusted by 25-turn pot which i’ve parked in the middle; from there the camera can increase or decrease the level as needed
-outputs to both channels 1 & 2
-audio monitoring must be done via sdi monitoring preferably with a headphone output; again, thanks arri

I'll admit it's a little crude but most of our clients are using the Minis in MOS applications and it's worked for those needing mic input in more doc. situations
TPCoughlan

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:25 pm

I built headphone amps in Altoids tins when I was a kid. It's funny to see it being used with a professional camera like this! :D
Elliott Balsley

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:14 pm

If anyone is reading this looking for an audio solution, Beachtek released this solution for Alexa Mini:

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/beac ... alexa_mini
eatChocolate

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:23 pm

eatChocolate wrote:If anyone is reading this looking for an audio solution, Beachtek released this solution for Alexa Mini:

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/beac ... alexa_mini

Does anyone see the major advantage of this over a Mix Pre-D? I've been hoping something smaller would come out. thx
Stout Film

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:30 pm

I am happy to announce that we now have an audio solution for the Arri Alexa Mini. Our DXA-ALEXA preamplifier provides two transformer balanced XLR inputs with phantom power and a 40 or 60 dB gain stage along with headphone monitoring. It is designed to be as compact as possible to accommodate the Neutrik XLR inputs and outputs along with the switches and controls. A lot of thought went into this design to make it fit into a typical Arri rig including carbon fiber construction for light weight and water resistant toggle switches to be used under any conditions.

I will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the DXA-ALEXA.

http://beachtek.com/dxa-alexa/

Harry Kaufmann
Product Support
Beachtek
Beachtek

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Beachtek wrote:I am happy to announce that we now have an audio solution for the Arri Alexa Mini. Our DXA-ALEXA preamplifier provides two transformer balanced XLR inputs with phantom power and a 40 or 60 dB gain stage along with headphone monitoring. It is designed to be as compact as possible to accommodate the Neutrik XLR inputs and outputs along with the switches and controls. A lot of thought went into this design to make it fit into a typical Arri rig including carbon fiber construction for light weight and water resistant toggle switches to be used under any conditions.

I will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the DXA-ALEXA.

http://beachtek.com/dxa-alexa/

Harry Kaufmann
Product Support
Beachtek

-----------
Thanks Harry! 2 questions for you. How do we get a RTN to your mixer from the camera for monitoring? I see an input for this but don't see a way on the Mini besides going from certain external monitors with a headphone jack. And have you considered making one that is half the size with just one simple input. Many of us just want a simple small-as-possible option with one input. And it would be great if it came with a cable to attach to the camera.. Thanks!
Stout Film

Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:55 pm

Yes, you are correct, there is no audio out from the camera except via some external monitors with a headphone jack. The RTN feature was included on the DXA-ALEXA for use in this scenario or when used with other cameras like the RED.

We do have a much smaller device that has only one XLR input plus three mini-jack inputs for 3.5mm mics such as the popular Rode VideoMic, or wireless systems. Please see our DXA-MICRO PRO page for more information.

It only provides 30dB of gain as compared to the 60dB of gain on the DXA-ALEXA but you can simply increase the camera gain to compensate. AbleCine in New York tested this setup and it works very well.

The 5 pin Lemo connector that attaches to the ALEXA Mini is very expensive and it not required when using the DXA-ALEXA on other cameras like the RED which is why we did not include it - the cost would have simply been added to the price of the preamp.
Beachtek

PreviousNext

Return to ALEXA Mini and ALEXA Mini LF