Mounting the battery: RAB-1 vs. 15mm rod set up

General discussion
Ungluc

Hi there,

I'm trying to compare different options to power an Alexa Mini. One of the way that I see pretty often it to have 15mm rods going through the bottom MAP-2 and to mount the D-Box in the back of the camera, as shown in the following picture.
Arri 1.jpg
However, I've been looking at the Alexa Mini Studio Set which instead uses a RAB-1 + RAB-1 clamp in order to secure the D-Box in the back of the camera, as shown in the following picture.
Arri 2.jpg
Because I've never used the RAB-1 set-up, I had a few questions:

- Does the RAB-1 make it difficult to access the C-fast card and SDI ports?
- Does the RAB-1 set-up feel balanced for handheld work?
- Does the RAB-1 set up adds a significant amount of weight?
- Any other pro and cons for each set-up that would be worth sharing?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Luc Ung
New York City
http://www.lucung.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Georg Lanz

Hey Luc,
please note that camera rigging is very subjective thing. If you are at a rental house you should try out different options to find the one that suits your needs best. However from my experience i'd answer your questions in the following way:
- Does the RAB-1 make it difficult to access the C-fast card and SDI ports?
In my experience no - it is roughly the same amount of fiddling as with a BAP on rods.

- Does the RAB-1 set-up feel balanced for handheld work?
Since the RAB is dead center the only object offsetting the camera is the MVF. With a Video transmitter on the 'assistant side' the whole rig is pretty balanced.

- Does the RAB-1 set up adds a significant amount of weight?
In a normal setup you still need rods for your motors and / or mattebox. Therefore the RAB and the RAB Clamp do add some weight to the camera. As for the significance of that added weight everyone has to judge for themselves. For a documentary abroad where every gram counts I'd personally leave it at home. For a commercial with frequent breaks I'd put it on.

- Any other pro and cons for each set-up that would be worth sharing?
The RAB offers a quick way to mount the BAP on top of the camera if you need to get close to a wall. Also it is very sturdy so in a handheld situation the camera can take a hit. With a rod setup you might be tempted to rest the camera on the battery which can dislodge a V-Mount battery. The RAB setup has steel underneath so that risk is reduced.
Also the RAB has a fixed mounting point - therefore the cable lenghts are always the same. This is something I appreciate since I can fix cables to the cage. With a rod setup this has to be flexible and the cables can come loose.

I hope I could help with some of your questions. Feel free to ask if you have any more.