Audio options for the LF

General discussion
FergusH

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing an LF for an application where having onboard audio - two XLR inputs - would be useful. I'm considering:

1. Beachtek DXA-RED
2. Beachtek DXA-ALEXA
3. Sound Devices MixPre-3

Does anyone have experience with any of these on a Mini or Mini LF? I'm leaning towards the DXA-RED at the moment as it seems to have the capability of the DXA-ALEXA but in a smaller package.

Thanks.
Stout Film

For this situation I have been using the MixPre-3. Advantages are you can record to it, it has accurate meters right on the unit, you can mix/iso in lots of ways in the unit, you get 3 inputs, the newer ones have timecode so you can have someone record separately very easily, and it runs on AA batteries in an emergency if your tap breaks, famously good pre-amps, etc. Disadvantage is that the output on the 3 is not full mic gain so you have to turn it up a little on the unit or the camera, though this sounds fine, and it's a little bit bulkier and/or not designed exactly for the Mini. Mine fits nicely on the side bracket on the AC side though. I love having a recording to the unit as a backup in case there's an issue with cable going into the camera I didn't realize.

I'd be curious about the DXA-Red because of it's size- that seems cool- I wonder if it works well with the Alexa, or why they'd design and market a separate unit like that.
TurleyMarshall

I don't know much about audio, but I went the easy route and got a Wooden Camera A Box. It's very simple. Since almost all audio guys record dual system, I thought this was the most economical way to go.
Sebastian Ziegler

With my Arri Alexa mini I use the Sonosax M2D2. It is small and has excellent audio quality and pairs perfectly with the mini.
I can also record directly to a computer or phone. Its incredibly versatile piece of equipment.

https://www.sonosax.ch/product/sx-m2d2/