Control Alexa Mini settings with iPad

General discussion
plastiek

Hi

I'm in the proses of buying an ALEXA Mini kit, and was wondering if there is more ways to control the settings when WIFI fails...
Do you think it would be possible to use the ethernet cable and connet it to iPad - like they explain in this link: http://www.cultofmac.com/425400/when-wi ... your-ipad/

Do you think this will work? The reason I'm asking is to get an alternative way to control the camera without the Viewfinder or CCP or wifi.

Last thing, what external monitor would you suggest for the camera (if you don't want the Transvideo StarliteHD5)?

Thanks
Jan Heugel

Hi there,

I don't see a reason why the cabled-connection should not work (only if Apple did something to prevent using these adapters).
In the end there's always the option to get a cheap netbook from ebay for 150-200$.

As far as the monitor is concerned, there are various options out there:
- Small HD 700 series (e.g. 702 bright)
- TV Logic VFM-058W or LVM-075A
- Marshall V-LCD56MD (+ 3G SDI input board)

I hope some Mini users can comment on this with their experiences!

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
plastiek

Great thanks for the info Jan!!

Would you also look at the ATOMOS SHOGUN INFERNO as a option for a monitor?

Thanks!
Jan Heugel

Shure, also if you need the extra recording functionality Atomos monitors are worth a try.

Generally when it comes down to the Mini, I'd say size does matter.
So personally I would look for a small size monitor.

Best regards,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Stout Film

If you ever plan to rent the Mini out, get the MVF-1 with the kit because everyone will expect it. That said, I tend to not use mine myself very much. I set up the user buttons to do most of what I need done, and go to the wifi on my phone for when I need it (which is usually just at the beginning of the shoot). Sorry I don't know if ethernet would work but that's a good idea, esp for backup. To monitor I have the SmallHD 502 and 702 Bright. The 702 definitely feels too big for the Mini (and Amira) but the brightness is very helpful. Use a hood almost all the time with the 502. I'm excited about the 503 and expect that to replace the 502 for me completely, could be used without a hood outside, and finally has lemo power input. Good luck