save footage from cFast card with power cut on camera

General discussion
krodahl

Hi - I have a couple of times had the battery cut mid take and experienced that i lost the last take but not the entire card. However, I suspect this time the card was not swapped at once and used for an additional couple of takes. The card was then not recognised by the apple finder (although it was seen by diskutility), nor did the footage come up when inserted back in camera - even with several boot-ups. I tried a deep scan (3 days scanning!) with prosoft data rescue but no luck. It is a Lexar 128GB 3600x card. Lexar's own rescue software did not recognise the card, whilst both disk utility on mac and prosoft recognised it.

My clients question is whether ARRI has a service that might take a look at the card and see if anything can be done?

best regards
klaus rødahl
Oliver Temmler

Hello Klaus,

what probably happened is that the data mapping information did get corrupted when you continued to use the card.
If it's not time-critical, I can offer that we pull a disk image from the card and scan the blocks to find the original recordings. We'd need the card, along with the latest camera log (from the time when the power failure had occurred), so we know what to look for.
Please contact service@arri.de for this option.

If it is time critical, you can also send the card to a data recovery service like Data Savers, Kroll Ontrack, or LC Technology.
You should include the camera log and a sample file that gives them an indication what to look for (same codec, fps, project and audio settings).

Best
Oliver
Oliver Temmler
Product Manager Storage Media
ARRI Munich
krodahl

Hello Oliver - thanks a million - that sounds great. However I wont have a camera log as this occurred a couple of weeks back and the camera has been updated since then. I know what codec, frame size, fps and project settings etc. Also - any indication as to pricing? That is obviously a factor as well:)

best regards
klaus