Alexa mini judder when panning at UHD

General discussion
steven

I've got the first job with my Mini. When I want to get a panning shot at 4k UHD 60 p it's have a judder, but when I change to HD there is smooth. Please help. My set is 4K UHD 60p for both project and sensor
Jan Heugel

Hi Steven,

that sounds strange. Did you look at a playback on the camera?
Can you link to the clips and provide more details: What is the shot's content (high contrast?), what's the panning speed?, what light's are you using? I guess youre shooting in ProRes?

Thanks,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
steven

Hi Jan,
I test with both RAW 48fps and Prores 4K Cine 60fps, it's still judder but RAW is less. I use outdoor with one M90 and 2 M40.
The problems is when I test it with Prores HD it has no more judder. I also test with my Sony FS7 at 4K cine, the Sony produce smooth with no judder. The panning speed around 3 s for 60 degree. I also sent the footage to Arri Asia. I see judder both when I playback on camera and I saw both in the EVF and my Sony PVM-A170 monitor. I set Mini at 400 ISO, 180 degree, sensor frame and project frame is same ( 48/48 at RAW and 60/60 at Prores 4K - and also SDI frame rate match )
Please explain to me more
Thank you
Jan Heugel

Dear Steven,

just talking about is impossible in that case, I need to see it :)
Please share a link to your files with digitalworkflow@arri.de

Thanks,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
steven

Dear Jan,

I've found out the problem. It's not concern about setting of Mini. It's judder when playback on the Mini with UHD but when I playback again on my Imac Pro with 16gb Vram it's smooth. So maybe the problem is playback directly from Cfast have problem. Do you have the opinion on Sandisk card ? I buy Arri verified Lexar.
One more problem that I found with my monitor Sony PVM-A170 that the monitor can support 48fps when SDI signal is 2K so I cannot match the SDI frame rate when I record RAW with 48fps. Do you have any comment on this ? Please help. Thank you
Jan Heugel

Hey Steven,

Sandisk or Lexar should not show differences.
Do you have judder on in-camera playback?

Playback from CFAST readers might not offer enough bandwidth.

For 48fps monitoring (generally HD or UHD; 2K is not supported) choose MONITORING > SDI 1/2 Format > 422 3G HD.

Best,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer