Alexa Mini LF and S35 lens compatibility

General discussion
kjansch

Hello everyone,

I wonder if someone from Arri could chime in on this question:

I’ve just placed an order for a Mini LF, but, as all of my lenses are S35, and I doubt I'll be getting any LF glass in the short term, I wanted to find out how well the Mini LF handles S35 glass.

I noticed that there doesn’t seem to be a non-large format recording option in the specs.

From what I can tell, it seems that there is no way to crop the sensor back down to a S35 area when using lenses that don’t cover the full LF sensor. For me that means that even though there is an LPL > PL mount adaptor, I won’t be able to use the majority of my lenses without vignetting and a bunch of post work to crop back to S35 size.

Is that correct or am I missing something? If that is correct, is it something that will be addressed in firmware, and if so, do we have a sense of when that will be?

Cheers!

Kieron Jansch
Jan Heugel

Dear Kieron,

a Super 35 mode is definitely on the timeline, but it won't make it into FCS.
At first, the ALEXA Mini LF will have the same recording formats as the ALEXA LF. We will add a set of Super 35 recording formats with a future Software Update Package.

Best,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
amirpohan

do the leitz M 0.8 lenses fit without any vignetting? in their ad it says that the image circle fits the alexa LF image circle
Leica M 08 lens.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan Heugel

ALEXA LF and ALEXA Mini LF share the same sensor, so yes!
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Lennywood

that brings up another question. does the mini LF have other mount options? like ef or leica? (as the current mini does). and if so, will the current mounts available now fit the mini LF or will you be making new ones? otherwise, how could you mount the Leica .08 lenses?
Jan Heugel

Dear Lenny,

LPL is not a closed system, since e.g. Wooden Camera already makes LPL mounts for other systems I don't think it will take long until you will see adapters for ALEXA Mini to various lens mounts or Moun A to LPL Adapters (as far as technically possible).

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Lennywood

thanks, Jan.

so to be clear, the arri made mount i currently use on my amira, or the mini, won't work on the new camera?
Jan Heugel

Hey Lenny,

the lens mounts from/for ALEXA Mini are compatible with ALEXA Mini LF.
As long as the lens covers the sensor you are good to go.

Cheers,
Jan

EDIT: I attached an image from our manual:
ALEXAMiniLF_MountOptions_Manual.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
jakecamera

When the s35 window mode is enabled in mini LF, will it give roughly the same frame rates as the regular mini?
Jan Heugel

Dear Jake,

there is no "S35 window mode" on ALEXA Mini LF, hence the frame rates are as stated here:

LF Open Gate ProRes 4.5K: 0.75 - 40 fps
LF Open Gate ARRIRAW 4.5K: 0.75 - 40 fps
LF 16:9 ProRes HD: 0.75 - 90 fps
LF 16:9 ProRes 2K: 0.75 - 90 fps
LF 16:9 ProRes UHD: 0.75 - 60 fps
LF 16:9 ARRIRAW UHD: 0.75 - 60 fps
LF 2.39:1 ProRes 4.5K: 0.75 - 60 fps
LF 2.39:1 ARRIRAW 4.5K: 0.75 - 60 fps

See our ALEXA Resolution Overview for more.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
ScottIppolito

Wondering if there has been an update I've missed about when we can expect a super35 mode on the Mini LF. Seems like it's been about a year since we heard the feature was going to eventually be released. I love my camera, but the inability to send a ready 3.2 or 4k super 35 image to post is leading to a lot of tedious discussions. It feel very un-Arri to need to have these conversations. Typically, when you tell post you are shooting Arri they just say thank you. :D Looking forward to seamlessly pairing the LF with the Amira!
Frederic Merten

Hi Scott,

we are currently working on SUP 7.0 for the ALEXA Mini LF. SUP 7.0 includes 4 x Super 35 recording formats and 2 x Large Format recording formats and many additional other features. We will announce the full spec very soon and I will also make sure to post it here in the forum. SUP 7.0 is planned to be available in April 2021.

Cheers,
Fred
Frederic Merten
Product Management Camera Systems
Frederic Merten

Hi all,

please see my post about ALEXA Mini LF SUP 7.0 Beta!

Cheers,
Fred
Frederic Merten
Product Management Camera Systems