Looking for assistance with Stellar App, and Skylinks

Fixxer

Hi,

I am trying to get 8 L5-C's, and 10 L7c's, to talk to the Stellar app, but I cant seem to do it. I logged into my base station, and made sure that the lights have RDM enabled.

I typically have the Skylink Base station attached to an ETC Ion XE 20 lighting board, with the station connected via the 5-pin DMX output to the board.

My question is, where am i going wrong? Should I change the broadcast mode FROM XLR to the wifi/ethernet option? I get the generic error when looking for ART-Net nodes, but I feel as if this is a skylink specific problem.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Fix
Fixxer

bumping this myself, since i haven't seen any info on this particular setup w/o skypanels involved.

If anyone from the dev team has any info for me, im all ears!

-Fix
Silvan Liu

Hi Fix,
The Skylink should indeed be set to WiFi/Ethernet when you wish to use Stellar. This setting defines which signal the Skylink uses to communicate to connected devices. This is also true if using SkyPanels in your setup. The base station will then act as your Artnet node.
Unfortunately the Skylink does not facilitate combining multiple sources such as a lighting console and Stellar.
Silvan Liu
ARRI Service - Burbank, California
Patrick Schulze

We do not recommend using Stellar in tandem with a console at this point, due to the mode-switching and DMX addressing capabilities in Stellar via RDM. This may interfere with your fixture modes and patching in the console. There are some ways to work around these issues, but they can become a bit complicated if you are not careful:

Allow enough of a DMX footprint between fixtures patched in your console to allow for the number of channels used by any one mode in Stellar. If you wish to use Extended Color Control in Stellar, that footprint could be up to 35 Channels. If you will NOT be using ECC, a minimum of 20 channels would suffice.
Make sure DMX Automatic Layout is turned OFF after discovery. Stellar will use the existing addresses of the fixtures as you have set them to use with your console.
I STRONGLY recommend you do not try to have both your console and Stellar to feed information to the fixtures at the same time, as HTP/LTP issues, along with channel alignment issues when changing modes via Stellar would cause conflicts between the two controllers. Disconnect your DMX output from your console before connecting to Stellar.
Finally, you would need to get the fixtures back to the mode you have patched in the console once you have finished working in Stellar. By default, Stellar uses 16Bit modes. If you are using 8Bit modes, be certain to set that preference each Fixtures RDM setup.
Most people tend to use Mode 6 CCT+RGBW in their consoles. Other Modes Stellar uses are M7-CCT; M10-HSI; M17-Gel; M19-X,Y; and M23-Effects....or their 8Bit equivalents.
I would recommend building a "Look" with each fixture in the mode you have patched in the console with a level of 0%. Execute this look before switching back to your console and quitting Stellar.
You must be VERY cautious if you attempt this, especially if it would be difficult to reach your fixtures should something go awry.
Oliverparson
Location: https://mini-militia.com/download-doodle-army2-apk/

Fixxer wrote:Hi,

I am trying to get 8 L5-C's, and 10 L7c's, to talk to the Stellar app, but I cant seem to do it. I logged into my base station, and made sure that the lights have RDM enabled.

I typically have the Skylink Base station attached to an ETC Ion XE 20 lighting board, with the station connected via the 5-pin DMX output to the board.

My question is, where am i going wrong? Should I change the broadcast mode FROM XLR to the wifi/ethernet option? I get the generic error when looking for ART-Net nodes, but I feel as if this is a skylink specific problem.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Fix
I found, the artnet package running inside of the DMX Sequencer isn't implementing the full spec and doesn't implement ArtPoll & ArtPollReply packets

*Link removed by admin
Patrick Schulze

Hi Fix,
If you are using Stellar, you need to have the Base Station set to WiFi/Ethernet. Be careful when trying to integrate Stellar with another console. Since Stellar has the ability to manage your DMX layout, adjusting addresses along with RDM controlled Mode changes, you run the risk of stepping on other DMX addresses in your rig. You have the option to prevent Stellar from managing the DMX layout. If so, you can manually address fixtures, leaving a wide enough range for mode changes, and it will not affect the rest of your rig. A good suggestion would be to create a "look" returning the fixtures to the mode you have patched in your console before giving back control.
sukudy

Patrick Schulze wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 pm Hi Fix,
If you are using Stellar, you need to have the Base Station set to WiFi/Ethernet. Be careful when trying to integrate Stellar with another console. Since Stellar has the ability to manage your DMX layout, adjusting addresses along with RDM controlled Mode changes, you run the risk of stepping on other DMX addresses in your rig. You have the option to prevent Stellar from managing the DMX layout. If so, you can manually address fixtures, leaving a wide enough range for mode changes, and it will not affect the rest of your rig. A good suggestion would be to create a "look" returning the fixtures to the mode you have patched in your console before giving back control.
Same here and I also checked the RDM and DMX address both are working right for now but still getting the similar issue.

*link removed by admin
Patrick Schulze

If the issue is ArtNet RDM discovery, make sure you are using the most current version of Stellar. As of this date, it is 2.6.3. @sukudy, I sent you a DM.
covertglorious

If you want to use Stellar, you need to make sure the Skylink is connected to WiFi or Ethernet. The signal that the Skylink transmits to its companion devices is set here. SkyPanels, if used, will have the same effect. You can think of the base station as your Artnet node
word hurdle