Problem offloading media from codex drive CDX-3730

General discussion
marianotoledo

Dear Alexa Forum,

We've been shooting with the Alexa XT on CDX-3730 drives on a very hot day inside a car.

Now we're not able to offload the media from the CDX-3730.

The card offloaded only 10 gigs out of 240, then connection with card failed.

After that Codex Device Manager recognize the card but under "status: unopenable / status: at risk".
The camera doesn't load the card either.

Has anyone experienced this?

Any advice on this would be very appreciated, thank you
Oliver Temmler

What format did you record – ProRes or ARRIRAW?

I suggest that you contact ARRI service and Codex support.
- figure out which reel number is affected.
- get the log file from the camera (SD card on the bottom/left of the camera). That way we may be able to tell what went wrong.
- get the log file from Codex server (macOS system preferences > codex server > stop server > generate log). That way Codex may be able to tell why the mag cannot be loaded.

Codex may be able to offer data recovery for you, but still all of the above will make it easier to figure out if there is a chance for recovery.
Oliver Temmler
Product Manager Storage Media
ARRI Munich
marianotoledo

Hi Oliver,

We recorded Arriraw.

I contacted Codex Support and sent the logfile. Unfortunately they charge 2000 dollars for the recovery process but the production can't afford that.

Do you have any advice on what to try to recover the media from the drive?

Thank you!
Oliver Temmler

I'm afraid there is no easy answer to that.
First of all, the file system may need repair if the drive was not properly unmounted. I believe you need Production Suite for that.
Next question is if the file transfer just stopped because of a hardware issue or a defect SSD or if it just stopped because there was a read error on one or more files.
If it's just corrupt files, you need to omit them and copy the rest of the drive.
If it's a hardware problem, it could be the casing that has a bent pin or an SSD that has an issue and there are different approaches to that which may need really good skills with the lunix shell.
Oliver Temmler
Product Manager Storage Media
ARRI Munich