Purchasing a used Alexa vs Varicam or Scarlet-W

General discussion
maxwellmonty

Hi everyone,

I've seen quite a few Alexa's for sale over the internet, a few on FJS and on another website as well. They are all within the $19k-$22K price range. Given these Alexa classics are around 5-6 years old, what do you think about purchasing one of these used versus getting a Varicam or Red SW? I've always loved the look of the Alexa---the varicam does a pretty great job, and the red falls behind in my opinion. I know that the Alexa classics don't do 4K, but has that really been a huge issue? Is the upscaling on it decent enough to pass for 4K without pixel peeping? Overall, it seems the setup costs would be around the same whichever route I go---I think the varicam would cost the most with their viewfinder.

I guess what I'm asking is, what questions SHOULD I be asking myself? Form factor? Size? Workflow? Are there other considerations I should factor in? To me, without question, the Alexa is hands down the best image to my eye. Of course it depends on the cinematographer and color grading. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and any answers would be helpful. Thanks
Najat

yeah what about getting a broke arri alexa, check its parts and build up your own, these prices dont make any sense, when you know you can buy a prosche fpr the same price,