ARRIRAW Converter CMD and Quicktime?

General discussion
TheGreatFuzz

Hello,

I would very much like to convert a MXF file to a quicktime mov using the ARC_CMD but if i specify "QuickTime" as the output format it fails to recognize it. However I see that it is possible in the ARRIRAW Converter GUI.

Is Quicktime not available on the CMD or is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Jan Heugel

Hey Andrea,

I'm sorry, ProRes rendering is not available on ARC CMD.
The “format” parameter determines the output file format and accepts the following values: tif, tiff, dpx, dpx_16bit, dpx_16bit_bgr, cineon, jpg, jpeg, exr, or openexr. It must be set.

Best,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
TheGreatFuzz

Hi Jan,

Thank you for the clarification. Are you aware of anyway to automate the conversion using other tools? I know FFMPEG is not an option using the standard transcoding procedures.

I am simply trying to create a quick proxy video of the MXF file, so any format would do. The CMD seems to only create still images, unless I am misunderstanding something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Jan Heugel

Dear Andrea,

ffmpeg might not be THE preferred method - but a possible way to go I guess.
I'm not commandline-nerdy enough to know how that works but I guess one can make one script accept the output of another...

Best,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
nateliv

For such a task you may be better using ARRI own free ArriRAW Converter software, which can use 2 GPUs quite well as far as I remember. It doesn't do DNxHD, but it does all ProRes modes (also on PC as far as I understand).
Exported MOVs will have all metadata passed from RAW files.
There is GUI and cmd line version for all OSess, it's very flexible. For proxies you can use lower debayer setting which should give you very good speeds.

<edit: removed links>