False Color Showing Log, correct?

General discussion
Brian Mills

When I am viewing Rec709 in the eyepiece and I turn on false color, the values being shown are of the Log image and NOT the 709 image, correct?

I am shooting on an Alexa Classic.
Brian Mills
Cinematographer
Frederic Merten

Hello Brian,
The false color exposure check in ALEXA Classic cameras is based on the color processing set for the respective output signal path. So if you have the viewfinder set to Rec 709, the false color exposure check in the viewfinder will be based on the Rec 709 image. If you have the MON OUT at the same time set to Log C, the false color exposure check for MON OUT will be based on Log C.

With the ALEXA LF, ALEXA Mini and AMIRA cameras you can choose if the false color exposure check should be Monitoring-based or Log C-based.
To set this in the ALEXA LF go to: MENU>MONITORING>False color mode
To set this in the AMIRA and ALEXA Mini go to: MENU>MONITORING>EXPOSURE TOOLS>False color mode

Best regards,
Fred
Frederic Merten
Product Management Camera Systems
Brian Mills

Thanks for the clarification!
Brian Mills
Cinematographer
nateliv

I think it will come down to personal preference but I like using FC on log as every LUT will map mid grey at a different tonal value.

<edit: removed links>
atomsand

Is there a possibility to use False Color exposure check based on LOOK in ALEXA 35?
Frederic Merten wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:39 pm Hello Brian,
The false color exposure check in ALEXA Classic cameras is based on the color processing set for the respective output signal path. So if you have the viewfinder set to Rec 709, the false color exposure check in the viewfinder will be based on the Rec 709 image. If you have the MON OUT at the same time set to Log C, the false color exposure check for MON OUT will be based on Log C.

With the ALEXA LF, ALEXA Mini and AMIRA cameras you can choose if the false color exposure check should be Monitoring-based or Log C-based.
To set this in the ALEXA LF go to: MENU>MONITORING>False color mode
To set this in the AMIRA and ALEXA Mini go to: MENU>MONITORING>EXPOSURE TOOLS>False color mode

Best regards,
Fred
Jan Heugel

Dear atomsand,

We're looking into that, but because of ALEV4's 17 stops it is tricky to do that on top of the look.

Please post ALEXA 35 question in the corresponding forum.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer