Debating which ALEXA camera to get

General discussion
omar robles

Hello group:

I am in a debate about what camera to purchase. The alexa mini is the one i truly desire but it is way out of my price range so I have settled it down to three cameras. The ARRI AMIRA or the ALEXA PLUS XT, or ALEXAPLUS 4:3. The Amira appeals for me because its lighter then the other alexas and has 4k uhd. What it doesn't have is the option to shoot anamorphic and thats something i might explore down the line. The XT shoots anamorphic and shoots up to 3.2k pro res. but is super heavy. For 10k less i can get an alexa plus 4:3 that can shoot anamorphic but has less resolution then the other two i mentioned. If you were in my predicament what would you decide?

Thanks
Brian Mills

If you are a solo shooter, get an Amira. I have an Alexa Classic, and I will not go out with it if I cannot have an AC.

It is heavy and cumbersome, and required me to upgrade my tripod.

But it is beautiful!

Yes, the Amira shoots 4k, but not really. It takes the exact same 3.2k image as the XT, and does an in camera upres. You would get a similar result doing an upres in post, so for me that feature is a wash (3.2K vs 4k).

I do wish I had anamorphic on my camera. So if that is important for you, that will seal the deal.

If it were me, I would get the Amira just to be a bit more nimble on set, but ultimatelty you need to balance your needs vs budget.

The good news is, with Arri, there is no WRONG answer.
Brian Mills
Cinematographer