Feature Requests for the next SUP

General Discussion
pioneerstudios

I would like to use this forum for Amira owners and operators to share their firmware feature requests. Each firmware has helped the camera become more stable and better and hopefully with valuable input from the community it will continue ensuring our investment holds value over the next few years.

My requests are below in order of importance:
#1: Image stabilization for EF
#2: No card corruption in the case of power loss while recording
#3: Better EF lens mapping for iris performance
#4: Slow shutter option while in timelapse mode, I use this often while shooting landscapes or street time lapses at .75 dos but can't slow my shutter in interval mode
Oliver Temmler

#1 – is understood. We are looking into this.
#2 – when the camera loses power, it cannot properly close the file it is currently recording. When you start it back up, the camera needs to "patch up" the last file, so it remains intact. If you'd continue recording on this card, you'd run the risk that the mapping tables get corrupted and data becomes unreadable. Therefore, the camera warns the user to back up and format the card to preserve data. So technically, #2 is already done. I understand you'd like the cards not to run into this problem, but, well, please don't hate me: Change batteries in time or get a hot-swap adapter.
#3 – can you please elaborate on this a little?
#4 – SUP4 lets you set the shutter to 1/1sec when shooting 1fps (or 0.750 fps). How long would you need as max exposure time?
Oliver Temmler
Product Manager Storage Media
ARRI Munich
pioneerstudios

#1 - Awesome! This would be a big step for the EF world.

#2 - Totally understand. I have only had it happen once, but I do shooting in extremely remote environments and was rolling on wildlife behavior at the end of the battery and click...lost the card...Are you saying if I boot it back up the card should be able to be repaired? In my case the one time it happened I was not able to get any data off the card and just had to format and loose all that material. Let me know because that is what scares me.

#3 - Currently Sigma lenses and some older canon lenses do not perform well with IRIS control or have IRIS control at all. I have tested Sigma 24-105, Sigma 18-35, Old Canon 100-400 as examples and all of these lenses have issues with IRIS. Sigma lenses are not recognized at all or it will see it for the first iris check and upon changing will jump all over the place and then just stop. This is not a huge issue but would be nice to know that other brand lenses will work with IRIS as well since some perform better than canon.

#4 - I have tested low shutter in the normal shooting mode, but my question actually comes when I am in the Interval Shooting Mode. To my understanding in that mode I am not able to change my shutter below a certain rate. Please verify that this is the case since this is the mode where most people would want to go to a low shutter.

Thanks for the feedback and for continuing to make this camera better!
Cheers,
Ben
ACSE GmbH

Oliver Temmler wrote: or get a hot-swap adapter.
We know that this is absolutely off topic, but we just finished a new lightweight and way more compact hot swapping series, designed in corporation with the ARRI Rental in Munich.
For any questions and feedback on this feel free to send me an email to bogs@acse-gmbh.de

*this post was edited 63 times

1. "On-the-Fly" color temp adjustments / selections. I don't like having to "ADD" a desired color temp to the list of presets associated with the WB User Button. Seems like there would be an option / ability to "roll through" the color temp and make your selection without the extra step of adding to the list.

2. Lens Exchange function. An option / assignable button to "power down" the sensor when you remove the port cap or lens.
Aage Hollander

Hello,

I have 4 requests.

1- I would like to haven more WhiteBalance presets in the list. I have to delete presets from the list, but would like to save more.
When i shoot different locations and have to return to them later it would be nice to save the WB with a name to it.

2- When the camera starts, the info under the monitor screen is always in Lens info, but i would like to see the battery or the iso as default. Because i never use lens info.

3 - Can the color bar also be seen in the viewfinder? This way I know the black level and the color of the viewfinder better.

4 - Would it be possible to automatically change to the next card when the first one is full?

I reaction to the card recovery problem, this also happens to me sometimes.
Can you make a setting to choose a voltage where the camera will turn down properly, with saving the card. My camera shuts down around 12.4V so if I would have the camera shut down properly at 12.6V it would have enough power to properly close the card.

Aage
Aage Hollander

More small requests

- Change the intensity of the info in the viewfinder, like with the frame lines.

- have a assignable button to turn the center cross on and off.

Gr, Aage
pioneerstudios

Any update on whether or now Image Stabilization will be included in the next SUP for EF lenses? Seems like the integration with mastergrips would be the perfect time to enable this. Please let me know and thanks for the support.

Ben
BurkeDoeren

I second the vote for Canon Image Stabilization support, especially for the 70-200mm f/2.8L II lens. This is a much needed option for EF lens users.

Also, auto-switching to the next CFast card and auto-recording after a slot switch would be amazing. Ideally it would behave the same way as spanning a clip between cards, where the first clip on the 2nd card picks up right where the last clip on the 1st card left off.

Those would be fantastic additions to the next SUP

Thanks!

Burke
Burke Doeren
Director | Cinematographer
www.BurkeDoeren.com
ARRI AMIRA
justin lovell

Second that request for EF stabilization integration

All the suggestions have been great. Also:
2- When the camera starts, the info under the monitor screen is always in Lens info, but i would like to see the battery or the iso as default. Because i never use lens info. Or just default to last used settings.
Justin Lovell
Associate CSC Cinematographer

Frame Discreet // 8/16/35 film scans
http://www.framediscreet.com
Pianist

From me a request for the future:

I want to have more control of the color behavior inside the camera. A traditional color matrix, for example. Reason: Nearly all colors are very fine, but the Amira seems to have a problem with deep red colors. My personal reference is the red wall in my living room, and on the other hand the warning jackets of railroad workers. I need to shift the red a little bit into the orange/yellow direction.

One major reason to buy the Amira was to get a complete finished picture directly out of the camera. This works relatively fine at all, only the red colors need some additional treatment. Perhaps, this can be solved by some more color adjustment settings.

The present settings only allow to treat the whole picture. If I try to bring the red tones more in the yellow direction, the whole picture is too yellow. The white snow, for example. There is no possibility to select especially the red tones and to modify them.

Am I the only person who needs some more functions in the color tool?

Matthias
Mateusz Skalski

Support for Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 would be a great improvement.
Pianist

You have an Amira and You want to use Sigma photo lenses? A very strange combination...

But Sigma is introducing some new cine lenses at the moment based on the 18-35 and the 50-100, and I think there will be no problems to use them on the Amira with EF or PL mount.

In my opinion, there will be no chance to operate a Sigma 18-35 photo lens on the Amira, because there is no aperture ring, and the Amira doesn't have an aperture wheel.

Please notice: This is an Arri Amira and not a FS7 or C300... :-)

Matthias
Aage Hollander

I would like to be able to select the zebra to work with the dynamic range of the log-c footage while I look at a lut.
This way I can see if the highlights are gone in my Log-c footage. Now the zebra reacts to the highlights of the lut.

As an example.
When I shoot on a bright day with a bright sky, my zebra alerts me for the sky. But in the log-c I still have detail in the sky.
In grading I can always recover the sky, so it would be helpful to know how far I can open the lens before I lose the sky.
When shooting documentary there is no time to switch to log-c al the time.

Gr, Aage
Mateusz Skalski

Pianist wrote:You have an Amira and You want to use Sigma photo lenses? A very strange combination...

But Sigma is introducing some new cine lenses at the moment based on the 18-35 and the 50-100, and I think there will be no problems to use them on the Amira with EF or PL mount.

In my opinion, there will be no chance to operate a Sigma 18-35 photo lens on the Amira, because there is no aperture ring, and the Amira doesn't have an aperture wheel.

Please notice: This is an Arri Amira and not a FS7 or C300... :-)

Matthias
I am using my amira mostly for documentary work and I find sigma lenses very convinient for what I do - they are lightweight, wide aperture and overall great for one man show.. The new cine version is no use for me as it is basically the same glass in different housing more suitable for working with focus puller, bulkier and heavier and you dont want that in a documentary:)
As for changing the aperture I belive you are wrong, you can easily change it on all CanonL lenses using custom buttons.
Mateusz
FullCircle

One thing I would love to see is an option to make the surround safe box go red during record...just to have another tally besides the small record tally at the bottom of the VF.
John Paluzzi
Full Circle Productions
www.fullcircleproductions.com