ARRI Amira 2

General Discussion
perrostar

The biggest minus is the weight and the large form factor of the Amira. No wonder they build the Alexa Mini. I'm asking myself will there be an Amira 2 in the near future ? Smaller, lighter and maybe a little under the actual Amira about the price ?
StefanWiesen

I respectfully disagree a bit here. For the intended purpose of being a single op "doc style" camera the lengthy body design and the UI is by far the best in the industry - when working with mostly PL glass which I do. I've been taken the Amira all over the world in sometimes extreme conditions and I appreciate the robustness, reliability and ease of use.
The Mini has a different intended purpose although I wish sometimes though the Amira was a bit less heavy;)
I do agree with a previous post that there needs to be progress when working with EF lenses: IS is a must, current EF iris operation is a pain.
Apart from that I wish Amira gave us the full 4:3 sensor capabilities like the Mini or at least "anamorphic de-squeeze" of the 16:9 sensor window.
And I do hope that instead of an "Amira 2" Arri continues to commit to its camera platforms for a longtime and evolves features through SUP upgrades (and maybe sensor upgrades in the far future) as opposed to other manufacturers that make you buy a new camera every 2 years.

www.stefanwiesen.com
pioneerstudios

Could not agree more. I have no interest in a new camera, but hope they continue to improve firmware over the next few years to ensure our investment is protected. The Amira still produced some of the most stunning images out there and for single operated use it really is amazing. Weight is an issue but I will take that for the stable balance, amazing audio inputs, and layout of user buttons. Let's hope SUP 5 fixes IS and other EF issues be caused outside of that the camera is really spectacular.
davidmcmurry

another voice in hoping further SUP updates will refine a few basics on the Amira and we stay in this camera. the Amira as it stands is an ideal tool and fantastic bridge between the Alexa Mini and the XT/ST and fits perfectly in the quiver of cameras. each has their own place and function. i often think i'll need one of each on set!