Hot swap CF Card/Follow Record

General Discussion
benmullinkosson

Is their a way to keep recording to a second CF card once the first card fills up?

Each time I finish one card the camera beeps to signal card full, then I have to manually hit record again so I lose moments if I don't hear the beep.

Any solutions? New to the forum, thanks!
Oliver Temmler

Ufortunately no, you cannot keep rolling from one card to another. The best option is to switch to the other card as soon as you are getting close to the end of the first one. Your average shot length determines how close to the end you should switch.
I recommend assigning a camera user button to 'Select Card' for quick access.
Screen_UsrBtn_SelectCard.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oliver Temmler
Product Manager Storage Media
ARRI Munich
benmullinkosson

Gotcha, thanks for the response and info! Any Intel if Arri will have an update that does this automatically?
pioneerstudios

To my understanding this is not a feature they are looking to implement. It has something to do with how they package the mov files. It would be great.

I will say having assigned switch card to a button that you should be careful because it is fairly easy to accidentally switch cards and depending on how you are managing media this can be a nightmare. My solution honestly has been to just use card slot 1 which I can and treat them as normal reels. Similarly you can just have your finger on the record button and as soon as recording stops it will auto switch to the second card when you click record again.

Hope that help.

Ben Hamilton
www.pioneerstudios.org
Jeremey

Has this option not been added? Today I ran into the this issue during an interview and it didn't automatically switch to the second card.
Jan Heugel

Hey Jeremy,

I'm sorry to confirm there's no "auto-rollover".

Best,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer