Too much color noise?

General Discussion
Pianist

Dear all,

I am a brand new Amira owner and spent the last two days in exploring the camera. Nearly everything is fine, and it is very easy to create an own look by using the Arri Color Tool.

But I am a little bit disappointed about the low light performance. Even at native iso of 800, there is always a significant color noise in dark areas, especially in deep blue objects. There is no chance to increase iso to 1600 or more, because noise is too heavy.

Is that behavoir normal? I can't believe that such an expensive camera has serious problems with noise in the picture...

Matthias
Oliver Temmler

Are you, by any chance, looking at the Log C image directly?
Oliver Temmler
Product Manager Storage Media
ARRI Munich
Pianist

At the moment, the problem seems to be not as big as I thought. The color noise seems to be produced by improper playback on quicktime player, and also in the Arri Color Tool.

If I import the material into my Avid, there is considerable less noise.

I can record a Log C file, if You are interested in this. There are lots of dark blue objects into my technical rooms...

Matthias
Pianist

In addition to that: Today, I experienced the factory look files, and they are really good. Perhaps, my own look files are too noisy. I think, "TV neutral" will be my favorite look.

If anyone wants to share his look files - I'll try them.

Matthias