ARRIRAW

General Discussion
Brian Hanson

+1 for this. Definitely interested in an arriraw option
n-joy.tv

Thank you Markus for the update!
Looking forward to hearing about any progress on ARRIRAW, which would be a great option to extent the longevity of our investment in ARRI. However, I still find the explanation for the lack of 4:3 unsatisfactory. Would there be any way to retroactively certify our sensors? And why are they not all certified to the same specs in the first place, given that they are advertised as essentially the same sensor as Alexa's?

Please compare (they're the same) and note how the Amira description specifically mentions anamorphic lenses:

http://www.arri.com/camera/amira/techno ... e_quality/
http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa_mini/t ... e_quality/

From a production-standpoint it makes no sense to me to intentionally divide your assembly line of the same sensors in order to give differing certifications...unless it's for the purpose of artificial market-differentiation. I really hope this can be addressed in some way as the 1.3x anamorphic option is greatly limited by our choice of lenses available in that format, as I'm sure you're aware. The Amira is already very different from your more expensive options in form-factor (bigger then Mini) & specs (no Lens control etc.) , so why limit your users on something so essential as our choice of lenses? If my $8k Sony FS7 offers it, don't you think the Amira should keep up with the competition?

Thank you in advance for any further explanation and consideration.
Best,

Nicolas Doldinger
andrewdp

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing about this option!

Best,

Andrew
Andrew Huebscher
IATSE 600 DP
Los Angeles
andrewtrost

Thanks for the update Markus!

Glad to hear ARRIRAW is in conversation for Amira, that is very exciting.

Also still echoing the sentiments of the forum for a 4:3 mode / 2x de-squeeze as well. Would love to hear that is part of the conversation as well in the near future.
Markus Dürr

thanks for all your feedback,
the requirement for 4:3 is understood, but sensor qualification is really an issue. Even though the sensors technically are the same, the AMIRA sensors are only qualified in the 16x9 sensor area and not in the 4:3 area. This excludes to use them in 4:3.

Moving on with the ARRIRAW testing, we are not planning an official betatest, but we would look for a handful of users willing to test the option and giving us feedback.
Also if there would be nice footage shot with it, we would be interested to use it for our marketing.
Just send me an email if you are interested: mduerr@arri.de
Thx,
Markus
pioneerstudios

Is there any roadmap for Pro-Res Raw on the Amira and Mini? With the size being much more manageable and playback solid, I am very interested to see if this might be coming in the future.

Ben Hamilton
www.pioneerstudios.org
Jan Heugel

Dear Ben,

we hear you, size is always an issue.
Right now we're looking into ProRes RAW, but MXF/ARRIRAW is our gold standard wich has full priority.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Jan Heugel

AMIRAarriraw.png
Everyone!

SUP 5.3 is out, 16:9 MXF/ARRIRAW license available now.

Buy or WIN
WINAMIRAarriraw.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
n-joy.tv

Thank you Jan and Markus,

for this great update and the ability to shoot RAW now.

However, coming back to the issue of 4:3: If indeed you absolutely cannot allow the use of the full sensor due to "certification", then could you at least add a 2x de-squeeze option in camera that would allow us to monitor 2x Anamorphic lenses in the correct aspect ratio in camera without having to resort to third-party monitors/de-squeezers (latency, color shifts etc,) ?

That would be a very appreciated compromise for your position of not allowing the 4:3 use. That way at the very least we can use the vast array of 2x Anamorphic lenses with our camera even if it means we're loosing some of the resolution due to this apparent certification limitation. At this point our expensive investment in ARRI only allows us to use 1.3x Anamorphic lenses, of which, as you must know, there are very few options... This really limits our ability to offer our clients the look they ask for, which is the opposite of what this camera should enable us to at this price point (e.g. Sony Venice, RED etc,).

Please consider this compromise IF there is indeed no way of ever using the full sensor that we paid for.

Thank you,

Nicolas