Amira 3.4K recording resolution ?

General Discussion
artilopa

Is there a way to record surround view of Amira sensor ? Similar as open gate but in higher resolution and 16 : 9 format ?
Right now the highest resolution is 3.2K - 3200 x 1800 Photo sites ( 1.78 : 1 ) 26.4 x 14.85 mm of sensor.
Why is not possible to record a surround view of the sensor.
That should end with resolution 3.4K - 3424 x 1923 Photo sites (1.78 :1) 28,25 x 15.89 mm of sensor.
Surround view is active on monitor, and i believe, it is only matter of Sup upgrade or extra license to offer this option.

After all Arri is advertising Amira with sensor size 28.25 x 18.17 mm. For the buyer that means a better resolution and shallower depth of field.
But actually you end up recording 10 % smaller sensor as you should.

Any reasonable facts ?
Jan Heugel

Dear Alex,
to achieve the best upscaling results to UHD with the most pixels possible, we decided for a 1.2x factor.
3424 would end up with a quite odd scaler.

The resolution gain is negligible - the dof does not change (your lens does not change when you record a smaller/bigger area).
Plus you still have surroundview - that's a big plus for ENG or documentary use.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
artilopa

Dear Jan

Thank you very much for your answer.
But for our work in postproduction 3424 will still be better option.
It s nice to have full frame picture for more view or later crop option.
I know that for upscaling 3200 is better calculation, but I am talking of 3424 just as it is.
So. Is there any chance in the future to open this portion of the picture to record 3424 ?
Otherwise we can get an field monitor recorder and record the whole picture from SDi Output.
But recording in camera would be nicer option.
What do you think ?

reds
Alex
Jan Heugel

Dear Alex,

we've said goodbye so non standard SDI output and external recording years ago, that is not a feasible solution.
If you really need the 3424, switch to MINI: MXF/ARRIRAW is the way to go.

Best regards,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer