ARRI Live Link Metadata - Plug-in for Unreal Engine

Tools of the trade, new plug-ins, log c etc.
Jan Heugel

Hey folks,

now it is officially out in the wild: ARRI Live Link Metadata, our real time metadata plug-in for Unreal Engine.

Check out our documentation and if questions arise post those here or drop us a mail via digitalworkflow |at| arri.de.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
ASutardy

Hi Jan,

Thanks for this. I'll be using an Arri Amira and Sigma cine lenses with Cooke i/ technology.

Will the Amira read and send the Sigma i/ lens metadata to Unreal via a UMC-4? I'm thinking to use the Amira with a UMC-4 and a Tilta FIZ kit.

Are there other options or suggestions here?

Thanks kindly

Adam
Jan Heugel

Dear Adam,

theoretically yes. AMIRA reads /i and hands it over to UMC-4 (use this cable to connect both: UMC-4 to AMIRA / ALEXA Mini EXT / K2.0001604).

EDIT: I reached out to my colleagues at ARRI Rental, they ran a test with your setup. It worked with UMC4's MRPS firmware. Make sure you set the lens output on the UMC from UMC to CAM.

For Cooke the Manual of AMIRA states:
Cooke /i support
The camera supports the Cooke /i protocol for lenses running firmware versions
according to the following table:

Lens type / FW version
S4 /i Prime lens (10-bit) 0.29 or higher
S4 /i Prime lens (12 bit) 0.39 or higher
S4 /i Zoom lens (10 bit) 1.29 or higher
S4 /i Zoom lens (12 bit) 1.39 or higher

The firmware version can be retrieved from the lens with the Cooke Viewer Lens
Display program. For detailed information, please contact Cooke Optics directly.

To be on the super-save side: please perform your own tests to verify functionality.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
ASutardy

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply. This worked for me also.

Arri Australia sent us out a loan UMC-4 to test with and I eventually got the Sigma cooke/i to feed lens metadata into Unreal Engine. I can confidently report that focus and aperture read out perfectly.

I had the UMC-4 set to CAM as well. Basically I just ran though the Arri explainer video and UMC-4 manual. Done!

Thanks for your help and advice.

Adam
Jan Heugel wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:09 am Dear Adam,

theoretically yes. AMIRA reads /i and hands it over to UMC-4 (use this cable to connect both: UMC-4 to AMIRA / ALEXA Mini EXT / K2.0001604).

EDIT: I reached out to my colleagues at ARRI Rental, they ran a test with your setup. It worked with UMC4's MRPS firmware. Make sure you set the lens output on the UMC from UMC to CAM.

For Cooke the Manual of AMIRA states:
Cooke /i support
The camera supports the Cooke /i protocol for lenses running firmware versions
according to the following table:

Lens type / FW version
S4 /i Prime lens (10-bit) 0.29 or higher
S4 /i Prime lens (12 bit) 0.39 or higher
S4 /i Zoom lens (10 bit) 1.29 or higher
S4 /i Zoom lens (12 bit) 1.39 or higher

The firmware version can be retrieved from the lens with the Cooke Viewer Lens
Display program. For detailed information, please contact Cooke Optics directly.

To be on the super-save side: please perform your own tests to verify functionality.

Cheers,
Jan