Alexa Mini Anamorphic Rushes Avid Media Composer Workflow

Tools of the trade, new plug-ins, log c etc.
jonh2010

Hi all

We have recently filmed some rushes with an Alexa Mini with the settings shown in the attached document.

This has been edited in Avid and will be finished in Resolve.

We noticed that the Avid was not able to sort out the correct ratio for the anamorphic image - and we have tried a few options in FrameFlex, but none seem to get it quite right (despite following the settings from the above info).

Does someone have the correct settings for Avid MC 2018 or 2019 which will show the rushes correctly please?

Resolve handled it perfectly without any problem - so it isn't a huge issue - but it would be good to understand what settings are required in Avid.

We linked to the rushes and then transcoded at full resolution, but at neither stage could we get the correct display ratio.
The project was 1080p - which should be fine - and we were happy with a letterbox version as our final master. I assume the anamorphic element is the issue - although we did try several PARs.

Any suggestions on settings would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Jon.
Jan Heugel

Dear Jon,

I've asked our MC-Guru for a screenshot of the settings, here's the recommended setup:
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 14.22.20.png

Best,
Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
MoritzD.M

Jan Heugel wrote:Dear Jon,

I've asked our MC-Guru for a screenshot of the settings, here's the recommended setup:
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 14.22.20.png

Best,
Jan
Due to the adjusted padding when shooting on the Alexa mini LF in S35 mode anamorphic, avid displays a wrongly desqueezed image. I assume this is due to the fact that the software considers the pixel padding as part of the image.
Is there any workaround?

Best and thanks for your help, Moritz
Jan Heugel

Dear Moritz,
this issue has been adresses with AVID and is afaik in the works.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
MoritzD.M

Hi Jan

thank you for the fast response.
As a DP, I suddenly found myself in the middle of heated discussions about the proxies of one my my last projects since none of the frame leaders seemed to be working. I hope AVID finds a workaround soon. Luckily, Davinci Resolve etc. still works without a problem.

Best,
Moritz