50p project video file used in a 25p Avid project.

Tools of the trade, new plug-ins, log c etc.
Fredrik Sundbye

Hi everyone,

I am going to shoot a trailer campaign for a danish TV station. The director wants to shoot 50 fps with audio, the reason being that the actors are going to match/dub already existing speaks, so he needs some frames to adjustment the sync. The files will be edited in a 25p avid project.

I find it hard to formulate the right question, but it goes something like this:
Is it possible to run the video file being produced on an Alexa with 50 fps from a 50p project in a 25p (2x slow) avid project?

FYI: I will shoot 356 shutter to get the same motion blur as if shot 25p @ 180 shutter.

Thanks in advance.
Oliver Temmler

Hi Fredrik,

first off, an ALEXA does not offer 50p as project speed/time code base, so it's going to be a 25p TC base. Only AMIRA and ALEXA Mini feature 50p and 50i TC base.

Second, I don't think this is specific to ALEXA. If a 50p QuickTime ProRes clip can be loaded into a 25p Avid timeline, it will work the same way if the QT has been recorded by an ALEXA.

You can download some AMIRA sample footage in 50p and see how this works in your setup:
http://www.arri.com/camera/amira/learn/ ... e_footage/

Let us know how it goes!
Oliver Temmler
Product Manager Storage Media
ARRI Munich
Fredrik Sundbye

Thank you very much, it works flawless.

I should have specified that I am shooting on a Alexa Mini.

All the best.