Reel name or tape name in Alexa meta data

Tools of the trade, new plug-ins, log c etc.
neils

For Arri Alexa Raw media when importing in DaVinci Resolve, one can set Reel name as different things and get differing results.
So, for instance for a clip that's called
A007C006_160424_R28L

After transcoding to DNxHD,

With clip name as reel name, the 'Reel' or 'Tape' (in Avid) column shows
A007C006_160424_R28L.[0782891-0787975]
With folder name (2 levels up) as reel name, the 'Reel' or 'Tape' (in Avid) column shows
A007C006_160424_R28L
With embedded name as reel name, the 'Reel' or 'Tape' (in Avid) column shows
A007R28L.

So, depending on what the on set DIT selects, the reel name of the transcoded DNxHD files bear differing reel (or tape) names.
This causes issues in conform.

We have been following 'embedded' as the standard since that is constant even if the clips were to be consolidated or moved to a different folder.

If, for instance the above clip was consolidated and we choose to copy out files numbered 0783901-0784975, and copy them to a folder called Selects_Sh_0034, then Resolve reads Reel name as

With clip name as reel name, Resolve shows Reel name as
A007C006_160424_R28L.[0783901-0784975]
With folder name as reel name, Resolve shows Reel name as
Selects_Sh_0034
With embedded name as reel name, Resolve shows Reel name as
A007R28L

So, embedded is answers constant and preferred. And I find that most logical.

But, many post houses (in Mumbai, India where I work out of) insist on clip name as Reel name, which can be achieved, but its not constant.

By the way, this does not affect the Alexa mini which records Arriraw as contiguous mxf files. Besides, the Alexa mini ones not seem to embed reel name like how the Alexa XT does.

What's the general convention for setting Reel name when transcoding or conforming post edit?

Neil Sadwelkar
Mumbai, India
Simon Duschl

Hi Neil,

as you already mentioned, there are different possibilities in DaVinci Resolve for writing Reel Names/Tape Names or File Names.
In my opinion (and I'm coming from the Post World) every possibility should work / is working.

It's more preparing the correct and consistent workflow before the project will start.

So in my point of view, there should always be an Post-Workflow meeting before an project will start. Find a consistent way regarding the Filenames/Tape Names for different Editing Tools, that will work without problems.

So if you start with Tape/Reelname = Filename, the bist would be to use it the whole project. In combination with the Source Timecode of the files there should be no problems in conforming/online.

I hope this helps.
Simon