Possible ARRIRAW plugin for Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and Future

Tools of the trade, new plug-ins, log c etc.
Felix

Hello,

I understand that Arri Camera is the gold standard in the filmmaking Industry. It can be very subjective among Directors and DOP. But that is not the topic that I am proposing. :) I love the the looks of how shots are produced from Arri Camera. As an independent filmmaker, I would love to access and process ARRIRAW right in one single tool.

I understand that there are various tool that can act as single workflow right from editing to colour-grading, example DaVinci Resolve. Which is great. A tool should not hinder a user trying to tell a story in the best possible way.

There have been numerous debate of FCPX. But again that is not the topic. :) I use premiere, resolve and as well as FCPX. I love FCPX. It is fast, clean and does the job in no time.

Companies like RED offers a "Red Apple Workflow Installer"
https://www.red.com/downloads/5340f90826465a7c2b000338 so that FCPX can read REDCODE RAW.

There are also third party plugin like Phantom Cine Toolkit from http://www.gluetools.com/products_phantom.html that can read Phantom Flex RAW files.

Apple now list them under Camera Plugins.

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/res ... ecosystem/

I also completely understand that users would say if you want edit footages natively from ARRI on FCPX, one should use Prores 4444 or its variants. Yes I completely agree. It is simple, fast and straightforward. :)

But any ARRI user who uses FCPX as one of their editing workflow or even their primary workflow, they will completely appreciate editing ARRIRAW natively in FCPX, I don't think Apple will be the one implemented ARRIRAW into FCPX. I strongly believe if there is any kind of support of ARRIRAW in FCPX it should come from ARRI.

So, on behalf of the all the ARRI Fans and user, I would I would like to ask ARRI to develop some kind of plugin where FCPX can read it like how RED does it.

Now that iMAC Pro is here and future Mac Pro is around the corner, it make perfect sense for ARRI to make this happen.
I really appreciate if the ARRI development team takes this request seriously and develop this plugin.

Thank You.
Felix

Hello,

No reply or comments from the Arri team?

Thank You
Jan Heugel

Dear Felix,

sure we're happy to answer :)

We offer an SDK to all interested developers via the ARRI Partner Program. All big players in the industry are part of it and have the newest SDK available as soon as we tweak our de-bayer.
Currently we're working on Dual-GPU support to speed up performance when working with ARRIRAW.

Since improving our own tools (ARRIRAW Converter, SDK, ARRI Color Tool, ARRI Meta Extract...), further developing our camera software and inventing new stuff (like the Master Grips) is our main focus, we leave it to third parties or vendors themself to implement our SDK.

BTW... back in the good old days of Final Cut Studio 2.0 Glue Tools also offered an ARRIRAW Tool Kit, perhaps there's more interest in that nowadays. Drop Bob a mail and see if he's in for the job!

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Felix

Hello Jan,

Thank you for your reply!

It is really amazing to see the dedication and commitment Arri has to their Camera platform and all the hardware that is focus to enable filmmakers and storyteller to tell their story in the best way as possible.

For any company that has some form of software technology involved, it is good to see that, that company release a SDK for third-party developers to build additional tools. Since Arri has done that, I also believe that no one knows their SDK better than the people who created it.

I am just one person, and there are countless amazing films that have been made and got numerous awards, were shot on Arri. Those film did not have plug-in that I am proposing but they still got the job done with the tools and application available during that time.

Having said that, I will definitely get in touch with the developer at Glue Tools to see what he thinks. I also wonder, if Arri can develop tools like ARRIRAW Converter, is it really a difficult process to develop a plugin for FCPX or even Premiere? I am sure any Arri user who prefer to get support directly from a first party developer rather than a third party.

Thank You Jan!