What do I need to control Skypanel wirelessly?

cstampler

Hello Silvan,

the thing is I didn't want to have to connect the fixtures together, I'd like to keep them independent from each other. So the next time I have more than one fixtures on set I will try what you recommended. I will try wrieless bridging/WDS/wireless repeating on my routers and if I can't get it working properly I might involve a professional network administrator to help me out on this.

Thanks and regards,

Chris.
Poyavision

Follow me to see how i did it
https://instagram.com/p/BU5pYcGjZJR/

I used a wifi router and a switch so i could control 9 skypanel over wifi with my iphone
cottet

Very interesting! Wich app?

Best.
Lichtit

Hello all!

I'd like to know if you can use a wifi dongle as an end of line DMX source for multiple heads.

Has anyone done this in the Heat of Battle?

A
joemartin

First post on the forum. I actually signed up specifically because i have a lot I would like to share on this topic.
Lichtit wrote:Hello all!

I'd like to know if you can use a wifi dongle as an end of line DMX source for multiple heads.

Has anyone done this in the Heat of Battle?

A
I read this question two ways. The first way is using wifi to wirelessly broadcast DMX data to a group of fixtures that are hard wired together. This is absolutely possible there is a setting in the Artnet sACN options to enable gateway mode on the fixture. I discovered through accident one day that the female and male DMX ports will broadcast a signal out with this option enabled meaning that you can implement a wireless module mid chain or anywhere else as opposed to having a start or end fixture.

The second interpretation is to wirelessly bridge two hardwired data connections with one fixture broadcasting a dmx input over wifi to another group. This i believe is not possible because the fixtures only read art-net and sACN protocol packets and do not generate them.

I work with 16 Sky Panels that I worked to implement a wireless system for that meshes with my existing sound stage network and is easily deployable for location work. I chose the option of the small travel routers to keep costs down and also allow us to take advantage of every feature the new firmware has to offer.
Mike Wagner wrote:Brunzo,

There is nothing available that I am aware of. If you find something - please post here so everyone can take advantage.

Thanks.
The software i use for location work is free I explored many options, one of which was Luminair, I was not a fan it was difficult to adjust patches on the fly and very limiting of the number of outputs. My third choice is the web interface which is accessible on any device with a modern web browser on your network. Navigate to the IP address of the fixture and you will have intensity control HSI and CCT as well as all the effects. It is quick and easy but not very robust. My second choice is open source, QLC plus. Its a fully operational system with patching and multiple outputs. I still use this software to pull ACN packets and passthrough to dimmer racks on location with a raspberry Pi.

Cham Sys MagicQ is my first pick. Its free with minor limitations in hope that you will purchase a board or other hardware to unlock full functionality. Mind you the demo mode has one usb dmx output and at least 12 network outputs. This is basically the full version of their lighting console software so you can run extremely complex shows with moving fixtures and pixel mapping.

Neither of these two work on an ipad but both work on small netbooks,qlc runs on a raspberry pi if you know how to compile source code. My solution was a cheap $120 window tablet that runs full windows 10 and has a keyboard.

The last part to tie the routers and the software/lighting console together is one last router. The routers on the lights bridge their wireless connection with the wired one but they still need one access point to latch to.

If there is more interest i can go into detail. My setup cost right at $1000 for the 16 fixtures and integrated with the stage network i had previously built to connect 4 consoles wirelessly to a main network for remote focus. This setup allows full control of most settings through the web browser and quick flexible control of the fixtures via a lighting console.
Poyavision

hi
your answer is here step by step to control skypanel via iphone ipad or android smartphones

Mike Wagner

Hello All,

We also have now available a wireless DMX solution called SkyLink. SkyLink is a two-part system that allows for wireless DMX and RDM communication to SkyPanels. The SkyLink Receiver and the SkyLink Base Station use LumenRadio for DMX/RDM communication and a WiFi chip in the Base Station allows for direct control from a DMX control application on a tablet or computer.

Find our more information here:
https://www.arri.com/lighting/skypanel/ ... s/skylink/

- Mike Wagner
Senior Product Manager, ARRI