Low level control of Sky Panels and telnet login

joemartin

I know that currently there is no supported way to segment the LED panels on a sky panel other than the pre-built effects, hopefully it is in the works for a firmware update, but i was curious if any one has found a way to access low level control of the lighting engine by any other way.

Mainly the web interface. I have been digging through the html for the GUI and found the javascript and php calls to change settings and values for output and light control, but it really only allows me to feed the main lighting engine parameters via a javascript object.

While this is fun and amusing to set the light to 0k and 60,000k (only the display changes, CCT output is still capped at 2800 and 10k) its really only practical for maybe a purely html/java script lighting console that uses IP addresses instead of DMX or standard lighting protocols.

Also i was able to telnet into the device and was prompted for a password. I tried all obvious things and have had no luck. So i know there is some way to access more of the fixture.

I know this is NOT by any means supported or recommended but i really enjoy having absolute control of my setup and would like to know if any other lighting console power user has had any success. Or maybe some kind person at ARRI can let me know if I am absolutely crazy and barking up the wrong trees?

Thanks! :D
Mike Wagner

Hi joemartin,

Thanks for your post.

We just released SkyPanel Firmware 4 that will do exactly what you are looking for. We added several new DMX modes called Light Engine Control. These modes allow control of each light engine to be control as if it were a separate SkyPanel. In the S30 there is one light engine, in the S60 there are two, the S120 has four and the S360 has twelve light engines.

In total there are 6 new DMX modes - three 8 bit and three 16 bit. You can control each light engine using CCT & RGBW, HSI, or x,y Coordinates. This control allows for full control over the SkyPanel and will give you the opportunity to program your own effect, pixel map the SkyPanels or simply give access to a finer level of control over the surface of the SkyPanel.

You can find out more information and download the firmware update here: http://www.arri.com/skypanelfirmware4/

I hope this information helps and please let us know if you have more questions.

- Mike Wagner
Senior Product Manager