ALF-2 vs. Teradek Colr anyone tested ALF-2 workflows yet?

Tools of the trade, new plug-ins, log c etc.
Simcules

Hi everyone,
I'm planning a shoot TV Series, 6 month of shooting and we are currently in prep. We are going to shoot on 2 Alexa Minis, recording ProRes. We are looking into color management on Set (and Post). I thought to use Teradek´s Colr as I usually do when on Set live grading is required. On this show we are planning to use Live Grade all the way. However we got pretty excited about the ALF-2 and its possibilities. It seems like ALF-2 can be a game changer, since it allows us carry on CDL values applied to the ALF in camera all the way into post. From my point of view this is a big advantage towards the Teradek Colr, since it cannot embed applied changes into the camera´s metadata. The DP´s integrity and intentions are way better protected when CDL values are embedded in the metadata and follow all the way into the post. I'm not saying that a intended look cannot follow all the way into post when using Teradek´s Colr. However ALF-2 seems to be more effective since it embeds changes directly into the metadata of the recorded clip, right?
But since its new I´m wondering if anyone out there has experience with it?
What I´m concerned about is connectivity issues via wifi. Is it possible to hook up the camera to a existing network infrastructure, (like the Teradek Colr), to extend the range? I would be happy about any reply concerning the on Set workflow with ALF-2 from anyone who has tried it.
Thank you very much!
Silvan Liu

Looking forward to reading about user feedback regarding ALF-2 workflows.

Regarding connectivity, the Alexa minis can indeed join existing wifi networks. For this got to MENU>SYSTEM>Network / WiFi>WiFi Mode and select Client. You can then go to WiFi network and either select your Network and enter your login credentials or create a QR code with those login details and have the camera scan the QR code for them by clicking the Scan QR button at the top of this menu.
If you're worried about wifi connectivity in certain situations there is also the option of connecting to the camera using an ethernet cable.
Silvan Liu
ARRI Service - Burbank, California
Simcules

Hi Silvan,

thank you for your reply. I did some testing at the rental and Promforts Livegrade seems to work really well. Love the ALF-2 workflow. Will test it on Set real soon.