Tape/Reel name - Metadata

General discussion
PeteRypstra

Hi all
Apologies if this has been asked before. Is there any reason why the reel name recorded in the metadata is a truncated version of the filename (A014R25M) and not the filename in full - A014C004_171117_R25M

I understand that there is a legacy issue with CMX3600s and 8 bit names but that problem doesnt exist anymore with the formats used by edit houses. Does anybody still use the reel name metadata in this truncated format?

Wouldnt it be better if the reel name was A014C004_171117_R25M? It would stop editors from having to change metadata on project setup.
Jan Heugel

Dear Pete,

why would you have to change any metadata? Is you reel name incorrect (so also the file name?)
Which system do you use for editorial?

Best,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
PeteRypstra

Hi Jan
Thanks for getting back to me.
I work on Flame and conform multiple formats from edls from most edit houses in Soho London.
With almost every alexa job I do, the MXF filenames have been duplicated into the Tape/reelname column at the ingest stage at the edit house. Its been very frustating as this change in metadata causes confusion and problems in our VFX pipline as we then have to ingest the TK and change the metadata to match what the editor has done. With other camera workflows I can use tapename from header and my raw rushes will match the edls.

I looked on the Avid forum and I have found the reason. Editors need a way of changing the filename for editorial/organisational purposes but want to preserve it at the same time. So this is how they get arround the problem.
I dont think this issue exists with other camera workflows as they just use the full filename as the tape/reel name.

I believe Arri use an 8bit reel name because of the legacy CMX3600 format, now very rarely used in commercials
Editors now use 32bit 3600s (a check box on the avid edl export window) allowing for the full 20 character filename to be used.

I found this while snooping around:
https://community.avid.com/forums/p/103 ... spx#595598

My question is:
Would anyone miss the 8bit format? Could Alexa just use the 20 character filename in the reelname column?
I am sure it would be a huge delight to many in the edit community.

Best
Pete