Arri Sky Panel S120 ‘Black Star’

Ken Lowe

Hi,
Has anyone come across a small black star icon placed next to the Mode indications?
It only appears when the Mode is switched to ‘Gel’ or ‘Source’ setting and appears on the left of both words but on no other mode settings.
I’m unsure it it is an error warning, or a setting has been activated?
The lamp did have the ‘’extended colours’ activated as an experiment and to be honest we found it difficult to turn back off on this head, but it is off now.
Does anyone have an idea why it’s appeared?

Thanks,

Ken.
Mike Wagner

Hi Ken,

The star icon next to the color mode indicates that Extended Color Control is in use. If you want to zero out the extended control parameters, you can follow these steps:
1. Hold the mode button for 3 seconds (to enter the extended color control screen)
2. Click the encoder three times in a normal pace and this will zero out all the color parameters
3. Hold the mode button again for 3 seconds to get back to the main screen, the star should be gone

A few other points: You can also double click the encoder on any single extended color control parameter to zero out that one parameter. The triple click zeros them all out. The extended color control is unique for each color mode. Meaning that you can have different extended color control settings for Gel mode or CCT mode or any other mode.

I hope this is helpful and talk to you soon.

- Mike Wagner
Senior Product Manager, ARRI
Ken Lowe

Hi Mike,

Yet again, thanks for your accurate information regarding the ‘black star...’
I followed your procedure several times to turn off the extended colours operating directly with the head but unfortunately it did not work.
I then connected a Sky Panel Remote Controller and followed the procedure again and this time around it worked..!
So, I’m guessing that the ‘encoder/intensity/selector pot’ on the head has a fault.

Going back to my previous post regarding Spectrometers and X, Y Coordinates. The spectrometer I purchased, the Sekonic C700 doesn’t have that information available. It is only built into the more expensive C7000 (just in case someone is thinking of buying one). Can I ask which Spectrometer you would recommend that is practical to use on location and gives me X & Y coordinates to use on the Sky Panel, would it be the Asense Lighting Password?

Finally, can you write a book containing all of your Sky Panel knowledge..? I know that I’d be first in the queue to buy it...

Thanks again, excellent work Mike..!

Ken.
Mike Wagner

Hi Ken,

I'm glad you were able to get the Extended Color Control reset to work.

The Sekonic C700 is a great meter but it is too bad that it does not include x,y coordinates. You might want to contact Sekonic or their distributor in the US (which I believe is the MAC group) to request this feature. Enough voices might convince them.

The other two brands I see the most in the market are UPRtek and Lighting Passport. I am sure there are others and if anyone wants to post their favorite here, I would encourage it. Both of the above I am sure do x,y coordinates.

And by the way, we do sort-of have a book about SkyPanel - the user manual. :D And it's free! I attached it here. It's a little bit of a dull read, but it contains all the functionality of SkyPanel.

Always feel free to post your questions here - we are happy to answer them.

- Mike Wagner
Senior Product Manager, ARRI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.