ARRI SXT Ethernet to Wifi Bridge

General discussion
fxEVo

Hi there.

I have a network question, technically the SXT and SXT Plus only have ethernet connect, via LEMO 10 pins to Ethernet RJ45, I understand I can control it if I connect directly into my laptop, or LAN Router. However, in network theory it allow Ethernet connect use Wifi Bridge to connect wirelessly to Wifi Router, overall:
ALEXA SXT --> Lemo 10 pins to Ethernet --> Wifi Bridge Unit --> Wifi Router --> Pomfort Livegrade
Is this possible? And is this the whole point of Teradek COLR Bridge control? Can I use some other wifi bridge router instead of Teradek COLR? Just trying to do Livegrading wirelessly since the camera package is 1 SXT and 1 Mini.

Also, a litte bit stretch, can I turn XT into wireless same way? XT do have webcontrol UI right?

Thank you.
Silvan Liu

Hi there,

One option is to use or upgrade to the SXT-W which has a Wifi module integrated.
Otherwise, with the SXT using a wifi bridge is possible and will allow you to connect to the camera interface. Any networking hardware can be used for this purpose, with the caveat that you would likely need to be able to power it using a battery and the form factor of standard wireless bridges and routers is not always ideal for mounting onto a camera. But still there is a wide variety of options available.
An Alexa XT can be networked the same way, however live grading is not supported by these models and you would merely have access to the web UI.
Silvan Liu
ARRI Service - Burbank, California
fxEVo

Thank you Silvan for helping out.

The Teradek COLR advertised that can be used as Wifi-Bridge, did ARRI worked with Teradek about that, its expensive but if can work seamlessly I would love to use, instead of dealing with modification of consumer routers to make things work.
About ARRI XT, hows about the CDL-server protocol? Can I still use it for livegrading?

Best regards
Silvan Liu

Unfortunately I am not very familiar with the Teradek Colr. But from what I understand its main feature is that it is a LUT box with wireless integration. Therefore it is doing more than a wireless bridge would and using it with an SXT would be somewhat redundant as the functionality of the LUT box is integrated into the camera, while using it purely as a wireless bridge would be overkill. It would be an option to use with an ALEXA XT as there it would give you similar capabilities regarding color grading as with the SXT, you would need to make sure you are able to combine the grading data from the LUT box with your footage from the camera though.

You are of course correct regarding the CDL functionality in the Alexa XT and it will work the same if you are going through a wireless bridge or if you are connecting directly to the ethernet port.

Many consumer wireless bridges can be powered via USB and can have quite compact form factors though you would likely need to tape/velcro them to the camera.
From the camera's perspective it makes no difference what networking device you are using to plug into the ethernet port and the level of integration will be the same regardless of you using a wireless bridge or going directly to your computer.
This may seem a bit pedestrian but the networking components of all these devices including our cameras work the same. So if you can set up a home or small office network this will be no different.
Silvan Liu
ARRI Service - Burbank, California