Arri Mini LF with 2X Anamorphic Lens Compatibility

General discussion
Felix

Hello,

I have some workflow questions. With Mini LF, what is the proper settings for a 2X Anamorphic Lens when shooting with Arriraw or ProRes? Is there a 4:3 or a 6:5 mode?

Thank you.
Jan Heugel

Dear Felix,

initially there won't be a dedicated sensor mode for that. Mini LF will have the same modes/formats as ALEXA LF.

It's a tough decision which sensor modes should come (2.0, 1.3, 1.5? - only full frame? both)... and suddenly you have a long list in Excel that causes headaces with our UIX team and the testing department :o

I suggest you use Open-Gate (ProRes or ARRIRAW - your decision) and 2.0 de-squeeze settings for monitoring/metadata.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Felix

Thank you Jan for your reply.

Just for further clarification.

Mini LF's Open Gate is 4448 X 3096. When applied 2X de-squeeze in post, it would yield, 8896 x 3096?

If I would have to scale down to a 4096 X 1716 time timeline, I would have an extra of 417px on both sides?

I believe it would really benefit all user from various categories if there are various sensor modes like 4:3 or 6:5 available like other brands.

Thank you Jan.
Jan Heugel

Hey Felix,

a de-squeeze will leave you with 8896*3096, yes.
For 2.39 I use 4096x1714. That would leave you with 415 pixels on each side.

Not to brag, but 4:3 and 6:5 are sensor modes of our S35 cameras... so be assured that we will definitely consider the most common modes!

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Joachim Heden

So...

To be clear -- if you do a good job in the frameline composer, there are really no downsides to using an LF for anamorphic capture (other than that you will be wasting card space on recording a lot of black).

I've not used the frameline composer yet, but the "scaling" feature allows you to scale the VF/Mon chain?

All the best,

J
Jan Heugel

Dear Joachim,

yes to your anamorphic question.

The Frameline Composer scales... framelines. As the name says you unse it to create the right frsmeline for the DP's intended framing/delivery format.

No influence on any camera settings!

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Felix

Hello,

I read that in a future firmware update for Mini LF, there will be a S35 6:5 mode?

Is this true?

Thank you.
Jan Heugel

Dear Felix,

we stated that S35 modes will follow, yes.
Please understand that I can't comment on which mode might come when.

Kind regards,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer