WCU 4 Feature requests

General discussion
Michael L

Hi Arri,

Can you please add into the WCU 4 software the ability to customise the home screen with useful buttons. If you are not shooting with iris or zoom motors it leaves useful buttons worthless. I personally would love to be able to remap them to lens tables, premarked disk's and playback. All things that are constantly being accessed on set when you are shooting prime lenses.

It would also be great to favourite a lens set so you don't have to go through the folders every time you want to change a lens on any given project. You set your favourite/default lens set for the shoot and it short cuts directly to that lens set.

Another feature request is with the Alexa mini is having the timecode menu accessible from the WCU-4. The amount of times I have had to wait as the camera assistant and the sound recordist are huddled around the camera's menu system checking and adjusting the timecode is frustrating.

Lastly the single user assignable button would be great to set it what ever you want not just the three Arri options.

Thanks!!
Christine Ajayi

Hi Michael

thanks for your Feature requests on the WCU-4.
All I can say for now is we will put it on our FR list.
We really appreciate your input!!

Thanks!

Best regards,
Christine
Saul Oliveira

Hi Arri:

Another request I think very useful.

When mapping a lense to create a lens file if you want the focus ring and the iris ring included in the file you must map both when you map and save the lens. It would be useful to map, i.e. , the focus channel and leave the iris to be mapped latter on by editing the file to add the other channel.

Thanks very much

Vest Regards
Saul Oliveira
First AC
Spain
Saul Oliveira

It would be nice to still see the T stop display on screen while on Motor Mode and Marker Mode on Focus Control Screen.
Saul Oliveira

I have seen several WCU-4 Hand Units with the User "red" button damaged to a point where it could not be used.

In the Lens Programing process we get to a point (and I think is just this point) when you must enter the lens Serial Number where to enter the digits you must use that user button (having some free soft buttons available) and if yours is damage it makes it quite difficult.

It would be nice to be able to use another button for that.

Best Regards

Saul Oliveira
First AD
Spain
Saul Oliveira

Also more CoC value options would be nice. The CoC value my Pcam software gives me for the Alexa cameras is not present in the WCU-4.
JonBowerbank

I currently have the same request as below, and second the ability to add mapping of an axis to an already existing file.

My red User button just starting being a little finnicky, it's disappointing that I need to send it in to be serviced. Unless somebody knows an easy fix :/

Saul Oliveira wrote:I have seen several WCU-4 Hand Units with the User "red" button damaged to a point where it could not be used.

In the Lens Programing process we get to a point (and I think is just this point) when you must enter the lens Serial Number where to enter the digits you must use that user button (having some free soft buttons available) and if yours is damage it makes it quite difficult.

It would be nice to be able to use another button for that.

Best Regards

Saul Oliveira
First AD
Spain
xanoramix

I would like to have a Cforce motor act like an Lens Data Encoder.
If we had a option to kill the motor strength it could just read the values on the lens.
That would be useful in situations where the DOP wants to set the iris manually and we could still have DOF on WCU-4. It would be also great for post production having that on metadata.

On Russian Arm or using stabilized heads where the DOP wants to have zoom control on joystick head console (with stab head own motor) we could have the cForce Lens Data Encoder function again to have metadata and zoom position displayed on WCU.
Alexandre Valentim
Focus Puller - Portugal
Hendrik Voss

Thanks for all your feedback - much appreciated and noted!!! Keep on posting ;-)
noodles

I have a few requests I'd love to see:

-When using with a Mini (or any Arri), marking circle takes during playback.
-Format card from hand unit.
-Change resolution and file type settings from hand unit.
-Completely editable lens files so a file can be completely remapped if needed, without creating a new file.
-Option to create and select custom-made (preset) focus rings

Thanks
Christine Ajayi

Thanks for your feedback and Feature requests!
We really appreciate them!

Best regards,
Christine
noodles

I use the WCU-4 with the mini RF motor and recently updated to the latest RF SUP, which now allows me to set focus limits when using the premarked focus rings. This is a great step forward, but I would like to see the limits expanded to the throw of the knob. Basically I would like to see it behave as it does when you have a blank ring selected, even when using the premarked rings. I understand that the markings on the disk become inaccurate at that point, but this would allow a quick way to expand the scale of a lens using limits (much like other FIZ systems).

Best,
Jeff
noodles

I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but if it is I would like to add to some of my previous requests. I was hoping you could add a setting in the zoom stick menu that would allow for speed control of the zoom. I noticed that it is quite touchy and it is difficult to get a fluid zoom using the WCU without a panbar or master grip breakout.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jan Heugel

Dear Jeff,

dearly noted and yes, please keep up the feedback!
We're very grateful for these bits and pieces.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer