ALEXA XT under extreme weather conditions

General discussion
saavedrarolan

Hi, in two weeks from now we´ll start shooting a film with one Alexa XT on RAW. I´ve already worked in some productions shooting RAW but never on a snowy mountain.

We are expecting to shoot 4 weeks in this kind of environment, also during some nights. So the question would be, does anyone out there have any advice about any special consideration to take in this way? Any troubles in your experience regarding low temperatures and high humidity? and how you face them to keep shooting?

Also I´m interested to know any opinion not only about the camera but also the DIT Station (computer and RAID performances), since I´ll be also downloading the mags and transcoding all the footage.

Thanks a lot!

Daniel.
Jan Heugel

Hey Daniel,

since you asked...
Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-01 um 13.47.25.png
This ALEXA did not encounter any problems on that shoot out in the white, where Rolf did not bring a rain cover "for reasons of packing small and light".

My biggest concern in that regard would be that you have to keep the batteries warm (cold batteries are hard to charge/don't keep their charge that well). An easy way to do so is a Styrofoam box, which you could put into a rugged aluminum case. Or you get a regular passive cooler that isolates the batteries from the cold surrounding.

In regards to data wrangling... how much footage are you expecting per day?

Kind regards,
Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
saavedrarolan

WOW! The 2nd assistant it´s already prepping the styrofoam boxes hope everything works fine.

I haven´t read the script yet but I guess we´ll be shooting at least 1TB per day. Also I don´t know what king of sensor mode we´ll be shooting on... so It´s early to say. My concern it´s about the performance of the computer and the hard drives with all the low temperatures and the high humidity weather.

Speaking about this topic, it would be interesting to use UV filters since we will be shooting at the mountain with snow? There´s any experience/opinion about using these filters?

Thanks a lot!