Media Errors

General discussion
Johnnyb2313

Hi,

I've been seeing and hearing about a media related error that's been popping up every once in a while on Mini LF cameras with a prompted "Error Code 200" message on the UI. Can you provide any information as to what might be causing this and best practices to avoid this error, if possible.

Thank you,

- John
Frederic Merten

Hello John,
We are aware that a few ALEXA Mini LF cameras show that issue while the majority of cameras are shooting happily without any problems. However, we take that very seriously and are working full steam on resolving this issue. As soon as we have any news, we will communicate further, also in this forum.
Unfortunately there is no workaround to prevent this issue from happening and if you see #200 you should bring the camera to ARRI service.

Best regards,
Fred
Frederic Merten
Product Management Camera Systems
rovi24

Hi Frederic,

My Camera just came down with this issue 05242020. I am located in Los Angeles.

Warnings:
Camera has restarted due to a technical problem. (#200)
Recording start failed. (#137)
Media reliability is at risk to write interrupt. Please backup data and erase media. (#195)
Recording stopped unexpectedly. (#138)

Alerts:
Connection to recording media is not working properly. Please try re-inserting. (#100)

Media becomes very hot in few minutes.

Is this a hardware issue?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
RoVi
Keidrych Wasley

rovi24 wrote:Hi Frederic,

Warnings:
Media reliability is at risk to write interrupt. Please backup data and erase media. (#195)

Alerts:
Connection to recording media is not working properly. Please try re-inserting. (#100)

Thanks
RoVi
Hi Rovi,

My camera also came down with this same issue a few weeks ago and i had all the errors and behaviour you have reported. My camera was about 2 months old. It was a hardware issue and Arri replaced my camera (they did also offer to repair the camera however i had an imminent shoot and required a quicker solution). I experienced the errors a day after shooting some ARRIRAW at 60fps in UHD though I'm not sure if that is related. I turned the camera on the following day and experienced the errors. I was able to get the camera working enough to finish a few shots. I switched to Prores and repeatedly turned the camera on and off and inserted / ejected the media. Each time the media was inserted i immediately tried to playback a clip and after 20/30 tries the camera played back a clip and would then record again. If the camera was switched off and on it would repeat the errors. I have no idea which of my methods got the camera working or if it was just luck! Could you say a little about what conditions you were shooting in and the frame rate / codec you were using when the camera failed? I do hope Arri can shed some light on this issue soon because it is troubling.
rovi24

Keidrych Wasley wrote:
rovi24 wrote:Hi Frederic,

Warnings:

Alerts:

Thanks
RoVi
Hi Rovi,

My camera also came down with this same issue a few weeks ago and i had all the errors and behaviour you have reported. My camera was about 2 months old. It was a hardware issue and Arri replaced my camera (they did also offer to repair the camera however i had an imminent shoot and required a quicker solution). I experienced the errors a day after shooting some ARRIRAW at 60fps in UHD though I'm not sure if that is related. I turned the camera on the following day and experienced the errors. I was able to get the camera working enough to finish a few shots. I switched to Prores and repeatedly turned the camera on and off and inserted / ejected the media. Each time the media was inserted i immediately tried to playback a clip and after 20/30 tries the camera played back a clip and would then record again. If the camera was switched off and on it would repeat the errors. I have no idea which of my methods got the camera working or if it was just luck! Could you say a little about what conditions you were shooting in and the frame rate / codec you were using when the camera failed? I do hope Arri can shed some light on this issue soon because it is troubling.

Hi Keidrych,

The settings were ProRes 4444 4KUHD 23.98. I tried everything I could between changing modes and downgrading firmware without any luck. At this point I want Arri to be responsible and replace the body. I received the camera in December last year. Thank you for sharing your experience on this issue.
Jan Heugel

Dear Rovi and Keidrych,

did you get in touch with ARRI Service?
Did the issue get sorted?

Cheers,
jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Harry Clark

Count me in too. Error 137, 138, camera freezing, mounting and unmounting media. There is only one fix: take it back.
And unfortunately, due to COVID, I can't simply drop if off and get it handled quickly. I need to FedEx the camera. They have also explained that they are working with a reduced staff and schedule so it will take longer.
I understand that it's just bad luck that this is happening during a pandemic. And I appreciate that Fred is probably correct; this is a relatively isolated issue. But when it's YOUR camera that you just spent $90K on, and have made $0 with so far, it's particularly galling.
Looking forward to getting it sorted.
Cheers,
Harry
Frederic Merten

Hello Harry and all,
yes, it is a very isolated issue. But still, we are obviously trying to help each and every customer as quickly as possible.
The fastest way to get in contact with us is always an ARRI Service department (much, much faster than my late reply here, sorry).
Harry, are you in contact with ARRI Service or one of our sales offices?

Best regards,
Fred
Frederic Merten
Harry Clark

Hi Fred,
Yes, of course, the first thing I did was email George in NY, as well as Guenter, since they are always VERY quick to respond. I shipped the camera the same day. George advised that, due to COVID precautions, the work force is scaled back somewhat and the repair may be delayed slightly compared to normal.
Hopefully this is the one and only problem with the camera, and when things return to "normal" I can enjoy many days of trouble free shooting.
Cheers,
Harry
Keidrych Wasley

Jan Heugel wrote:Dear Rovi and Keidrych,

did you get in touch with ARRI Service?
Did the issue get sorted?

Cheers,
jan
Hi Jan. Thanks for the enquiry. Arri took care of me yes, they replaced the camera.
Brian Hanson

I had the same experience with a 3 month old mini LF.

Sent the body to Arri NY to have the following issues addressed:
"Replaced the CDVF print and the micro coax 40 pin cable.
Replaced both coax-lemo connectors for SI-0005."

George at Arri NY was very helpful and got the camera back quickly but I do hope that this gets resolved and others can avoid this issue.
Jan Heugel

Dear Keidrych,

good to hear, glad we sorted it out.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
jakecamera

Well my 5 month old Mini LF just came down with the same issue. Basically it won't record at all and is giving all the same errors. I was told to send it to Burbank for evaluation where it should arrive Tuesday. I inquired with support about getting a loaner or a replacement but they did not respond to the request. I know another guy in town that just got his and he is having the same issue already. Mine happened in prep before a 2 day shoot. Not good.

I heard Arri has halted production and shipping of the Mini LF due to this issue. Is this true?
jakecamera

Frank the head of arri service got into contact with me. They are trying to find the issue. They will take care of me for upcoming shoots. He seemed very sincere and I appreciate the call.
I’ll update my situation here as it progresses.
Jan Heugel

Dear Jake,
I heard Arri has halted production and shipping of the Mini LF due to this issue. Is this true?
We've halted production of ALEXA Mini LF due to supply chain issues caused by the Corona pandemic. This also affects our repairs of ALEXA Mini LF.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
rasa.partin

Sad to report the same error as others have experienced. On the Mini LF's first commercial shoot in Los Angeles we experienced Error #138 and Error #100. The production lost about 2 hours worth of shooting time while we tried everything possible to get the camera to shoot. Swapping power sources (both 24v and 14v), cards, shooting formats etc. We would hit errors between 20secs to 1min into a take. We were shooting in a remote location in Malibu otherwise we would have swapped out bodies vs trouble shooting. Somehow we were able to shoot on a card that didn't trigger the error but lost several takes in the process. Needless to say a nightmare and trust in the camera/manufacturer has been shaken to the core.

I have been in touch with ARRI USA and things seem to be moving slowly due to COVID etc. They have provided the option of a backup body that I can use while the the issue is being sorted. Waiting to hear on an estimated repair time before sending in my body.

I have spent several hours trying to work through figuring out where the error stems from and how to consistently trigger the error. My efforts are logged here https://www.notion.so/Alexa-Mini-LF-313 ... 72917618ce.

So far, there doesn't seem to be a specific thing that triggers it. What does seem to help the problem is formatting the Codex Compact Card in the computer using the Codex Device Manager software. This seems to 'reset' the card better than the camera body formatting can and errors become a lot less frequent. I'd love to hear from others experiencing this issue to see if the Codex Device Manager formatting works for them.

I'd also request ARRI to issue some guidance regarding the issue as it may be wider spread than we think. Obviously camera bodies have been sitting in rest due to world events but as things start ramping up, issues will start tripping up productions as they use these cameras. Having some sort of guidance on best practice or how to recover from the error would be helpful while this is being sorted.
donfrasco

Hello, I just experienced this media issue with my Mini LF. I tried reformatting the media and rebooting the camera. No luck so far. I also already sent Arri Service an email with the logfiles. I'm wondering if a factory reset or firmware downgrade can fix this.

These are the error messages:
- Recording start failed. (#137)
- Media reliability is at risk due to write interrupt. Please backup data and erase media. (#195)
- Recording stopped unexpectedly. (#138)
- Connection to recording media is not working properly. Please try re-inserting. (#100)
- Camera has restarted due to a technical problem. (#200)
donfrasco

What i'm experiencing is similar to your situation. I read your notes on the notion link. Hoping this gets sorted out soon!
rasa.partin wrote:Sad to report the same error as others have experienced. On the Mini LF's first commercial shoot in Los Angeles we experienced Error #138 and Error #100. The production lost about 2 hours worth of shooting time while we tried everything possible to get the camera to shoot. Swapping power sources (both 24v and 14v), cards, shooting formats etc. We would hit errors between 20secs to 1min into a take. We were shooting in a remote location in Malibu otherwise we would have swapped out bodies vs trouble shooting. Somehow we were able to shoot on a card that didn't trigger the error but lost several takes in the process. Needless to say a nightmare and trust in the camera/manufacturer has been shaken to the core.

I have been in touch with ARRI USA and things seem to be moving slowly due to COVID etc. They have provided the option of a backup body that I can use while the the issue is being sorted. Waiting to hear on an estimated repair time before sending in my body.

I have spent several hours trying to work through figuring out where the error stems from and how to consistently trigger the error. My efforts are logged here https://www.notion.so/Alexa-Mini-LF-313 ... 72917618ce.

So far, there doesn't seem to be a specific thing that triggers it. What does seem to help the problem is formatting the Codex Compact Card in the computer using the Codex Device Manager software. This seems to 'reset' the card better than the camera body formatting can and errors become a lot less frequent. I'd love to hear from others experiencing this issue to see if the Codex Device Manager formatting works for them.

I'd also request ARRI to issue some guidance regarding the issue as it may be wider spread than we think. Obviously camera bodies have been sitting in rest due to world events but as things start ramping up, issues will start tripping up productions as they use these cameras. Having some sort of guidance on best practice or how to recover from the error would be helpful while this is being sorted.
Keidrych Wasley

donfrasco wrote:Hello, I just experienced this media issue with my Mini LF. I tried reformatting the media and rebooting the camera. No luck so far. I also already sent Arri Service an email with the logfiles. I'm wondering if a factory reset or firmware downgrade can fix this.

These are the error messages:
- Recording start failed. (#137)
- Media reliability is at risk due to write interrupt. Please backup data and erase media. (#195)
- Recording stopped unexpectedly. (#138)
- Connection to recording media is not working properly. Please try re-inserting. (#100)
- Camera has restarted due to a technical problem. (#200)
I had the same fault and tried downgrading the firmware and a factory reset, neither worked. My Codex cards work fine on my replacement LF body, so i doubt it is anything to do with the Codex cards themselves. This is a hardware issue with the LF. I have also heard of more MINI LF's recently with the same error via other forums. It would be much appreciated if Arri could provide an update on what they believe is causing this issue and whether it can be fixed indefinitely via a repair. It is very concerning shooting with a camera that can succumb to a fault that renders it unusable.
Frederic Merten

Hello all,
if the camera shows one of the messages ‘Recording stopped unexpectedly #138’ or ‘Camera has restarted due to technical problem #200’ it needs to be sent to the nearest ARRI service center.
If the camera shows the message ‘Connection to recording media is not working properly #100’ it can sometimes be resolved with a reboot. If the message persists, it needs to be looked at by an ARRI service center.
Unfortunately, there is no way to solve this issue on set. Please get in contact with an ARRI service center if one of these error messages should appear. Click here to find the next ARRI service center.

Best regards, Fred
Frederic Merten
donfrasco

Thanks for the feedback and clarity, Fred.
Frederic Merten wrote:Hello all,
if the camera shows one of the messages ‘Recording stopped unexpectedly #138’ or ‘Camera has restarted due to technical problem #200’ it needs to be sent to the nearest ARRI service center.
If the camera shows the message ‘Connection to recording media is not working properly #100’ it can sometimes be resolved with a reboot. If the message persists, it needs to be looked at by an ARRI service center.
Unfortunately, there is no way to solve this issue on set. Please get in contact with an ARRI service center if one of these error messages should appear. Click here to find the next ARRI service center.

Best regards, Fred
Brian Hanson

Update to my issues.

Camera was returned to me 6/11/20.

Last Thursday 8/6/20 on set the camera displayed the following warning: "Sensor error occurred. Please reboot camera (#41)" and would no longer record despite displaying an image.

I shipped the camera body back to Arri New York this morning after sharing camera log info.

I really hope my camera comes back working this time. I love Arri but this is becoming very costly and is now impacting my working relationships.

Jan, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I inquired about a loaner body but was denied so I am surprised to hear that others here were presented with that option.
Brian Hanson wrote:I had the same experience with a 3 month old mini LF.

Sent the body to Arri NY to have the following issues addressed:
"Replaced the CDVF print and the micro coax 40 pin cable.
Replaced both coax-lemo connectors for SI-0005."

George at Arri NY was very helpful and got the camera back quickly but I do hope that this gets resolved and others can avoid this issue.
donfrasco

I'm wondering - how long should the repair/service take?

I sent my Mini LF back late August, still waiting for any update from PH distributor/ARRI HK on when I'll get it back.

I've sent follow up emails. No feedback yet. Last update I got was Sep 2 confirming that ARRI HK have already received the items.
Silvan Liu

Hi Donfrasco, unfortunately the same supply constraints that caused a delay in shipping of new cameras had caused some backlog to service cases. This backlog is now rapidly being worked off.
I apologize that we have not communicated regarding the timeline with you. Your camera should be ready to be returned this week. Please also feel free to contact us directly at service[at]arri.asia if you have any further questions.
Silvan Liu
ARRI Service - Burbank, California
donfrasco

Silvan Liu wrote:Hi Donfrasco, unfortunately the same supply constraints that caused a delay in shipping of new cameras had caused some backlog to service cases. This backlog is now rapidly being worked off.
I apologize that we have not communicated regarding the timeline with you. Your camera should be ready to be returned this week. Please also feel free to contact us directly at service[at]arri.asia if you have any further questions.
Thanks for the update, Silvan! Can't wait to get it back! I hope the issue is resolved once and for all.
lukewheldon

We've just had the #200 error on one of our Alexa 35's (SUP 1.0.3). We've not upgraded the camera to 1.1 as we're in the middle of a big shoot. Should we update regardless, when we get a moment, or send the body back to the rental house?

I've emailed the log files to arri for further clarification.

2023-06-23 12:46:50.674935 alexa35-63428 xcom[462]: WARNING funmod_watchdog.c:140 Camera has restarted due to a technical problem. (#200)
Jan Heugel

Dear Luke,

let's see what our Service says.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer