Light Engine 1vs 2

mcliln

On our show we started using Mode 19 XY 16 bit as we found we could get much closer color matches to Lee and Rosco colors that the DP has selected. For control we are using ETC Gio consoles and sACN to DMX. The vendor provided a mix of version 1 and version 2 fixtures, which are easiest to identify unfortunately at 10% and what we use for 4300. CIEx is 3861 and CIEy is 3867.

The version 1 fixtures are strongly green, while the version 2 still appear 4300. This is for S30s and S60s. the S120s however, which are version 1 do not have this green tint. Switching them back to Mode 6, and using the CCT channel, the fixtures do not shift green.

Switching the V1s to mode 6 at 4300 and 10% the fixture sifts to Magenta. which is preferable to the green, but still off. Some of these shifts go away in stage mode, but that mode doesn't work with our Arri cameras as there is an apparent flicker.

In a followup we can provide reading from the LED Color meter, but are these expected results? We keep switching modes based on our DP to get a workflow that renders specific colors, but we have found limitations in Mode 6, 19, 25. In which mode can we get 4300k at low level to appear neither green nor magenta.

I presume Mode 31 would allow me to switch modes using CCT channels for low level 4300, and XY when we need specific colors, but the ETC profile needs some serious work to be useful, and I've avoided it primarily for that reason. Even looking at it now, I'm not sure how I could get the mode switching to work efficiently as to change the XY values, you have to adjust the channel labeled Red for x and Green for y.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcliln

We are going to switch to Low End mode. We've had camera flicker issues before, but we didn't try it on this show because of the issues we had in the past. Low End certainly improves the appearance to the eye. Fingers crossed.
Patrick Schulze

Hello,
Thanks for reaching out to us. I believe i spoke with you on the phone about this very issue and suggested Low End Mode. You should not have issues with flickering while using Low End, as it does nothing to the PWM. Stage Mode, however, may cause flicker issues and is never recommended for on-camera work. Let me know how it worked out for you. My email is pschulze@arri.com