Classic : recorders, M lens & weight management

General discussion
frglme

Good morning,

I have a few questions about a Classic as I'm thinking about buying one (or an Amira, as the Mini will be out of my budget) in 2022.

The background: It will be my first pro cine camera. I'm an analog photographer. The Alev sensor makes sense for me. I live in France, in a remote area (Drôme), so I cannot rent easily.

The project: Documenting the life here and the everyday fight (I prefer not to say more). I also planned to do a free workshop for disadvantaged kids in 2023 in my region.

The questions :
a. what recorders can I use on a Classic to shoot Arriraw 2.8k? The Gemini 444 and Odyssey7Q seems the right way to go but it's difficult to find them. Can we use an Atomos Ninja V with the SDI connector and record in 2.8K with this setup or something else (it's seems compatible with the Amira and the Mini https://www.atomos.com/compatible-camer ... -v-pro-kit )?

b. I have a few Leica M lens I work with and I like them. Is the L mount ( https://cvp.com/product/leica_c310-002- ... mount_arri ) is compatible with the Classic?

c. I like to move when I shoot and the weight of the Classic is a legitimate concern. My idea is to strip down the Classic (thats also why the Leica M lenses seems an interesting choice) and perhaps use a monopod, like the Steadicam Air 25 ? What do you think? I'm open to suggestions and hacks about weight management.

Thanks a lot.

François L.-G.
medhadeep85

Hi,
a. Why do you want to record RAW? For the type of shoot you are looking at, you can shoot ProRes 422 and will still get the best image quality, if you expose correctly. Yes you can use Atomos Ninja V for recording, however the SDI O/P is FHD.
b. The Classic has the PL mount, so you will need some converter/adapter for that
c. You can use Steadicam Air 25 but what do you mean by strip down? :!: You can use a S-4 Shoulder Set & S4 Shoulder Pad for handheld shots.

All the best for your project!
Medhadeep Bandyopadhyay
Solution Designer | ARRI | Cineom Mumbai
frglme

Dear Medhadeep Bandyopadhyay,

Thank you very much for your replies and your help.

a. (I will work on the side on a tv commercial, and want to shoot raw 2.8K for this one, or at least have the option in the futur.) Thanks for clarifying. So the only recorders when you don't have an XR module upgrade with a Classic to record are 2.8k RAW with an external recorder are : Codex Digital Onboard M and S ; S.Two OB-1 ; Astrodesign HD-7502-A ; Convergent Design Gemini or Odyssey 7Q ; cineFlow cine Take? Or is there any more recent/compact choices?
b. I understand that, of course. But do you think we can mount the official Leica M Mount For ARRI (made for the the Amira and the Mini) on the Classic?
c. Meaning I will use the less accesories on it and the rig must be the lightest possible.

Have a nice day!

flg
medhadeep85

My pleasure!
a. I have worked with the Odyssey 7Q and works fine.
b. The classic will not take that mount. So basically the mounts size for Amira, Mini, Mini LF are same. Classic and other bigger bodies are different.
c. Well you can keep the CCH-1 (Centre Camera Handle) and VMB-1(Viewfinder Mounting Bracket) off. But there are nothing more to remove.

Enjoy and all the best!
Medhadeep Bandyopadhyay
Solution Designer | ARRI | Cineom Mumbai
frglme

Perfect, thank you!