Media Errors

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi,

I've been seeing and hearing about a media related error that's been popping up every once in a while on Mini LF cameras with a prompted "Error Code 200" message on the UI. Can you provide any information as to what might be causing this and best practices to avoid this error, if possible.

Thank you,

- John
Johnnyb2313

Re: Media Errors

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:49 pm

Hello John,
We are aware that a few ALEXA Mini LF cameras show that issue while the majority of cameras are shooting happily without any problems. However, we take that very seriously and are working full steam on resolving this issue. As soon as we have any news, we will communicate further, also in this forum.
Unfortunately there is no workaround to prevent this issue from happening and if you see #200 you should bring the camera to ARRI service.

Best regards,
Fred
Frederic Merten
Product Management Camera Systems
Frederic Merten

Mon May 25, 2020 11:32 pm

Hi Frederic,

My Camera just came down with this issue 05242020. I am located in Los Angeles.

Warnings:
Camera has restarted due to a technical problem. (#200)
Recording start failed. (#137)
Media reliability is at risk to write interrupt. Please backup data and erase media. (#195)
Recording stopped unexpectedly. (#138)

Alerts:
Connection to recording media is not working properly. Please try re-inserting. (#100)

Media becomes very hot in few minutes.

Is this a hardware issue?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
RoVi
rovi24

Sun May 31, 2020 10:02 pm

rovi24 wrote:Hi Frederic,

Warnings:
Media reliability is at risk to write interrupt. Please backup data and erase media. (#195)

Alerts:
Connection to recording media is not working properly. Please try re-inserting. (#100)

Thanks
RoVi

Hi Rovi,

My camera also came down with this same issue a few weeks ago and i had all the errors and behaviour you have reported. My camera was about 2 months old. It was a hardware issue and Arri replaced my camera (they did also offer to repair the camera however i had an imminent shoot and required a quicker solution). I experienced the errors a day after shooting some ARRIRAW at 60fps in UHD though I'm not sure if that is related. I turned the camera on the following day and experienced the errors. I was able to get the camera working enough to finish a few shots. I switched to Prores and repeatedly turned the camera on and off and inserted / ejected the media. Each time the media was inserted i immediately tried to playback a clip and after 20/30 tries the camera played back a clip and would then record again. If the camera was switched off and on it would repeat the errors. I have no idea which of my methods got the camera working or if it was just luck! Could you say a little about what conditions you were shooting in and the frame rate / codec you were using when the camera failed? I do hope Arri can shed some light on this issue soon because it is troubling.
Keidrych Wasley

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:37 am

Keidrych Wasley wrote:
rovi24 wrote:Hi Frederic,

Warnings:

Alerts:

Thanks
RoVi

Hi Rovi,

My camera also came down with this same issue a few weeks ago and i had all the errors and behaviour you have reported. My camera was about 2 months old. It was a hardware issue and Arri replaced my camera (they did also offer to repair the camera however i had an imminent shoot and required a quicker solution). I experienced the errors a day after shooting some ARRIRAW at 60fps in UHD though I'm not sure if that is related. I turned the camera on the following day and experienced the errors. I was able to get the camera working enough to finish a few shots. I switched to Prores and repeatedly turned the camera on and off and inserted / ejected the media. Each time the media was inserted i immediately tried to playback a clip and after 20/30 tries the camera played back a clip and would then record again. If the camera was switched off and on it would repeat the errors. I have no idea which of my methods got the camera working or if it was just luck! Could you say a little about what conditions you were shooting in and the frame rate / codec you were using when the camera failed? I do hope Arri can shed some light on this issue soon because it is troubling.

Hi Keidrych,

The settings were ProRes 4444 4KUHD 23.98. I tried everything I could between changing modes and downgrading firmware without any luck. At this point I want Arri to be responsible and replace the body. I received the camera in December last year. Thank you for sharing your experience on this issue.
rovi24

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:43 pm

Dear Rovi and Keidrych,

did you get in touch with ARRI Service?
Did the issue get sorted?

Cheers,
jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Jan Heugel

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 pm

Count me in too. Error 137, 138, camera freezing, mounting and unmounting media. There is only one fix: take it back.
And unfortunately, due to COVID, I can't simply drop if off and get it handled quickly. I need to FedEx the camera. They have also explained that they are working with a reduced staff and schedule so it will take longer.
I understand that it's just bad luck that this is happening during a pandemic. And I appreciate that Fred is probably correct; this is a relatively isolated issue. But when it's YOUR camera that you just spent $90K on, and have made $0 with so far, it's particularly galling.
Looking forward to getting it sorted.
Cheers,
Harry
Harry Clark

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:26 pm

Hello Harry and all,
yes, it is a very isolated issue. But still, we are obviously trying to help each and every customer as quickly as possible.
The fastest way to get in contact with us is always an ARRI Service department (much, much faster than my late reply here, sorry).
Harry, are you in contact with ARRI Service or one of our sales offices?

Best regards,
Fred
Frederic Merten
Product Management Camera Systems
Frederic Merten

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Hi Fred,
Yes, of course, the first thing I did was email George in NY, as well as Guenter, since they are always VERY quick to respond. I shipped the camera the same day. George advised that, due to COVID precautions, the work force is scaled back somewhat and the repair may be delayed slightly compared to normal.
Hopefully this is the one and only problem with the camera, and when things return to "normal" I can enjoy many days of trouble free shooting.
Cheers,
Harry
Harry Clark

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:29 pm

Jan Heugel wrote:Dear Rovi and Keidrych,

did you get in touch with ARRI Service?
Did the issue get sorted?

Cheers,
jan

Hi Jan. Thanks for the enquiry. Arri took care of me yes, they replaced the camera.
Keidrych Wasley

Next

Return to ALEXA Mini and ALEXA Mini LF