Sigma lens support

General Discussion
Mateusz Skalski

Hey folks,
Is there any plan to support sigma 50-100mm zoom lens with the next SUP?
It is not possible to change iris the way it is now.
Jan Heugel

Dear Mateusz,

EF lens support will be improved for SUP 5.0.
What else? See us at NAB next week!

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
StefanWiesen

I've been generally very happy with the Amira and especially the support. At this point however I have to voice some criticism. I generally work with PL glass, but in certain doc scenarios lighter EF (DSLR) glass is advantageous. What far inferior and cheaper cameras could do from the very beginning (either with or without cheap third party support) is still impossible with the Amira as of today: Practical, ergonomic internal iris control of EF DSLR lenses, easy programmable function buttons on a hand grip plus IS support. I spent a lot of $$ for a Master Grip+ cable months ago mainly for this purpose and I'm still waiting. Yes - I'm aware of issues like "reverse engineering" but other companies that charge way less for their products have managed to do this in far less time it seems. "January 2017" I was once told...
Not for the Alexa or Mini, but for the Amira this must be a priority since it's specifically designed as documentary camera.
FIZ control via handgrip is nice, but I can't imagine this being desperately needed by a lot of users. With such an elaborate/time consuming camera-built I'd go WCU-4 etc and hand certain control off to the AC.
I also hope once all this finally becomes available that there is a dedicated explanation on the ARRI website, maybe a short online video that explains setups of Master Grips scenarios specifically for Amira users that want to use EF glass in run&gun situations.
pioneerstudios

Couldn't agree more Stefan.

As you know I also work on mainly light weight run and gun productions and remote wildlife shoots and have voiced my opinion on this more than once to reps and on this forum over the past few years. My Amira is not delivering as a one man band production tool if I can't properly use lightweight glass that is demanded in fast production settings. I hope SUP 5 releases soon so we can see how IS works and if the grips live up to their description.

Ben Hamilton
Pioneer Studios