Alexa Mini LF and S35 lens compatibility

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:54 am

Hello everyone,

I wonder if someone from Arri could chime in on this question:

I’ve just placed an order for a Mini LF, but, as all of my lenses are S35, and I doubt I'll be getting any LF glass in the short term, I wanted to find out how well the Mini LF handles S35 glass.

I noticed that there doesn’t seem to be a non-large format recording option in the specs.

From what I can tell, it seems that there is no way to crop the sensor back down to a S35 area when using lenses that don’t cover the full LF sensor. For me that means that even though there is an LPL > PL mount adaptor, I won’t be able to use the majority of my lenses without vignetting and a bunch of post work to crop back to S35 size.

Is that correct or am I missing something? If that is correct, is it something that will be addressed in firmware, and if so, do we have a sense of when that will be?

Cheers!

Kieron Jansch
kjansch

Re: Alexa Mini LF and S35 lens compatibility

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:49 pm

Dear Kieron,

a Super 35 mode is definitely on the timeline, but it won't make it into FCS.
At first, the ALEXA Mini LF will have the same recording formats as the ALEXA LF. We will add a set of Super 35 recording formats with a future Software Update Package.

Best,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Jan Heugel

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:10 pm

do the leitz M 0.8 lenses fit without any vignetting? in their ad it says that the image circle fits the alexa LF image circle

Leica M 08 lens.jpg
amirpohan

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:33 am

ALEXA LF and ALEXA Mini LF share the same sensor, so yes!
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Jan Heugel

Return to ALEXA Mini and ALEXA Mini LF