LCS connection between ZMU-3a to WCU-4

General discussion
Rakesh

Hello,

Is it possible to connect ZMU-3(a) to WCU-4 via LCS cable for wireless zoom control? because WZE-3 is already discontinued.
All I can recall is that the function would be implemented through a future FW update.

will appreciate your support.

Cheers,
Rakesh
Igor Barbosa

Hi Rakesh,

From the WCU-4 SUP 3.0 Release Notes;

"Support for external zoom controls
Master Grip Rocker, ZMU-3A and cmotion pan-bar zoom are now supported hardwired to the LCS interface of the
WCU-4."

You can download the latest SUP here; Product page

Best,
Igor
Rakesh

Great! Thanks Igor!
Rakesh

Igor,

Checked and learned that currently only 2 different lengths of LCS to LCS cable are available, ex- 3.5 and 75M.
I am looking for a length of about 10 to 15 M. Then is there any adapter to bridge 2 of 3.5M cable?

Cheers,
Rakesh
Jan Heugel

Dear Rakesh,

there's a 0.8m, 10m or 30m for ZMU-3A to LCS.
ARRI_ConvOver-ZMU3A.png
See here: http://www.arri.com/?eID=registration&file_uid=12603

Cheers,
Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
JonBowerbank

Hello all!

I'm having trouble hardwiring my pan-bar zoom to the WCU-4

I have from the Zoom: 1' Lbus 4pin male to 5pin LCS female adapter. Then a 14' LCS cable male to male cable to the WCU-4

The pan-bar zoom is not lighting up, and the WCU-4 does not detect it in any way. I tried connecting it to the AMC-1 via LCS as well, wondering if voltage could have been an issue. But the pan-bar zoom still does not power on.

HOWEVER, if I use the same 4pin Lbus to 5pin LCS adapter, run the 14' LCS to another 5pin LCS to 4pin adapter, and connect direct to a Cforce motor, it powers on and works flawlessly. The system recognizes it and I'm able to assign it to the designated zoom motor along the daisy chain.

I'm using the AMC-1 at home at the moment, and I've also tried at a rental house to test with directly linking to the Alexa Mini. Exact same results either way. I can use the same LCS cable to hardwire the WCU to the AMC-1, so it appears all the cables are in working order.

Is there a setting I'm missing in WCU that activates the power output and interface of the LCS port?

Gernot Füllsack

Hello JonBowerbank,

it can be that the 3.3 Volt switching Regulators is defect in your pan-bar zoom.
Please contact cmotion for further informations: support@cmotion.eu

best regards
Gernot
JonBowerbank

Thank you Gernot!

The pan bar zoom is actually a loaner from a vendor until my own is in stock and gets shipped to me. I'll let the vendor know, hopefully it's just that.
JonBowerbank

I tested with another Pan Bar Zoom unit, and same results.

Only thing I can think of is either it's an issue with the power output of the WCU-4 hand unit, or possibly I need a shorter cable with more robust housing to preserve such a low voltage?
Ryhar

Has there been any update on this? I want to purchase a separate zoom control to hardwire to my hand unit so that I can hand the operator zoom control during Russian arm, crane, or SteadiCam setups. Specifically, does anybody know if I can use the panbar zoom for this purpose since the ZMU-3a is no longer available? I had imagined exactly the setup JonBowerbank has posted above.
Ryhar

Update (years later): my Pan-Bar zoom control works just fine running from the LCS port on the WCU-4 hand unit. Great addition to the kit.